top shadow

1882 History - Chapter 11

[Page 109 - Chapter XI written by Williamson PLANT]

The education of children at an early day, all over the country, was much the same, and many were to be found who would recognize the necessity of any special effort to educate the females. They were quite unanimous forty years ago in believing that, at most, they might learn to read and write. Arithmetic and grammar were thought to be quite useless. But however much the parents may have desired to give their children a good education at that time, they would have found it often very difficult to find teachers with the requisite qualifications to teach the required branches to enable them to draw the small school-fund distributed annually by the State.

The first schools taught at Greenville, so far as can now be known, was by Mr. ENLOE, a Mr. BEEMAN and WHITE. Miss Elizabeth NORTON (afterward Mrs. FOSTER) taught a school in 1835, in a cabin on part of Lot 22, Greenville, nearly in front of Mrs. LARRABEE’s present residence. A number of teachers were at different times employed with varying success, until under the free-school system the present brick school building was erected about 1859. The first teachers in the new building as principals, have been Messrs. CUNNINGHAM, CLARK, HYNES, TAYLOR, MUDD, DEAN and INGLIS.

August 8, 1868, the School Directors of Greenville District employed Samuel M. INGLIS, at a salary of $100 per month, and who has also been employed from time to time since, and at the end of the fifth year as Principal of the school he had the pleasure of having seven graduates.

The sixth year, 1874, seven more graduated; in 1875, nine graduated; in 1876, eight; in 1877, eleven; in 1878, six; in 1879, nine; in 1880, fourteen; in 1881, eleven; in 1882, twelve, making a total graduation of ninety-four for the ten years after the school was brought up to the present graded system. The same Principal is employed for the coming school year, making fifteen years of continuous principalship. Ten assistants are now necessary to aid in giving instructions in the different departments.

This school is very popular at home and enjoys a high reputation abroad.

Almira College. – In 1827, two lads, Stephen MORSE and John B. WHITE, attended school together at a public institution in New Hampton, N. H. One year later they entered Brown University, Rhode Island, where they were class and roommates during their collegiate course. After a few years, one devoted himself to teaching, and the other engaged in the mercantile business. These boys were raised by unusually intelligent, devoted, Christian parents, and each sought the path in life that seemingly would promise the most useful and lasting results.

Mr. MORSE was prospered in his business,

[Page 110] and accumulated wealth. Occasional letters passed between these old friends and classmates, in which the subject of education was frequently discussed. Nothing of unusual interest occurred, however, until 1854, when they arranged to meet in Greenville, Ill., which meeting resulted in the initiatory steps for founding the much-talked-of institution. After some days of consultation and study, it was decided that the institution should be for the higher education of young women. That it should not be engaged in as a private enterprise, but that an act of incorporation should be secured, so that the contributions could be held in perpetuity for educational purposes. Mrs. Almira B. MORSE, a lady of thorough and accomplished education, was fully in sympathy with her husband, and seconded every effort of his for the advancement of the worthy enterprise, aiding not only by words of encouragement and cheer, but with a generous personal money gift; and thus the institution was founded in 1855-56, a charter being obtained in 1857. The work of erecting the building was immediately begun, and one wing completed and occupied in May, 1858. Work was gradually carried on and the main structure was finished in 1864. It presents a frontage of 160 feet; width, forty-eight feet; is four stories high, and contains seventy-two large and elegant rooms. The college grounds contain twelve acres, consisting of a park, a yard front of the building, and land in the rear for domestic and ornamental purposes. In honor of the lady, Mrs. Almira BLANCHARD MORSE, who endowed it with her little fortune of $6,000, this college was appropriately named Almira.

From its foundation, the institution has been under the instruction and general management of Prof. WHITE, and his wife as assistant, except for three years during the rebellion, during which time the Rev. D. P. FRENCH and Mr. MORSE assumed control. Prof. WHITE severed his connection with the institution in 1879, when Prof. J. B. SLADE, of Springfield, took control.

Mrs. Almira B. MORSE died at her home in Palva, Kan., in August, 1881. Her remains were returned to Greenville and interred in Mt. Rose Cemetery.

The ladies of Greenville and vicinity, desirous of promoting social intercourse and of aiding in the intellectual and moral elevation of society, met on the 19th of January, 1856, and organized a society for the aforesaid purpose and adopted a constitution and by-laws. It was called the Social Circle, and its object was the purchase of a library.
The ladies present at the meeting for organization were Mrs. A. MORSE, Mrs. M. SHIELDS, Mrs. L. STEWART, Mrs. E. HUTCHINSON, Mrs. S. MORSE, Mrs. E. G. SMITH, Mrs. S. SPRAGUE, Miss J. MERRIAM and Miss E. M. WHITE.

The meetings were held once a week. In the afternoon, the ladies sewed, and, in the evening, gentlemen came in and some literary entertainment was given. An idea of the energy and labor bestowed upon the project may be seen from a single quotation from the records: Work on hand for January 28 – Knitting, a cradle quilt, three sun-bonnets, two pairs of pantalets, infants’ dresses, caps and aprons, three shirts finished and price for making the same $2.25.

An attractive feature in the evening entertainments for years was the reading of The Gazette, a collection of articles and essays written by the members of the society. Many of the papers contained productions that reflected no discredit upon their composers, indeed some evinced more real literary merit tan much that appears in the leading periodicals of today.

Besides the labor thus bestowed, we note a supper given April 25, 1858, at which $61.88 were realized; also, June 25, a concert, the proceeds of which were $21. The first purchase of books was made August 26, 1856; the

[Page 111] amount invested, $100. October 22 of the same year, by vote, the mane was changed to Ladies’ Library Association. Thus we find the little germ, planted and nurtured by the ladies, and supported by the good wishes and patronage of the gentlemen, steadily growing.

In the year 1867, through the instrumentality of Hon. J. F. ALEXANDER, a charter was obtained. About this time, the need of a town hall being greatly felt in Greenville, a number of ladies, many of them being also members of the Library Association, determined to raise money to build one and connect with it a room for the public library, which had been kept at the residence of some member of the society. After nearly $1,000 had been obtained, the project was abandoned, and a donation of $712.40 was made to the Library Association on the 13th of February, 1873.

The interest of this fund is annually expended in the purchase of books. The services of librarian having always been gratuitous, the institution is self-supporting, and has added some to the permanent fund.

The twenty-fifth anniversary was celebrated on the 19th of January, 1881, at the residence of Dr. William ALLEN. The event proved an important epoch, in that it revived much of its history that had never been put on record, and awakened new zeal in the work. Letters were read from absent members, an historical sketch of the society was given, some poems of merit, good music and an elegant repast, combined to form a delightful re-union.

At present the library consists of 1,500 volumes. Seventy-five or one hundred new books are added yearly, and it furnishes patrons the best magazines of the day. The library room is large, pleasantly situated in Bennett's Block, well furnished, and kept open every Saturday afternoon.

The following is a list of the officers at the present time: Mrs. F. C. MUDD, President; Mrs. E. DENNY, Vice President; Mrs. J. W. HOILES, Secretary; Miss A. E. WHITE, Treasurer and Librarian; Misses E. BIRGE and G. BLANCHARD, Assistant Librarians.

Presbyterian Church. - On the 10th day of March, 1819, a church was formed in Bond County, called the "Shoal Creek" Church, embracing all the Presbyterians in the county at that time, with thirty-three members enrolled. On the 15th of September, 1825, the committee appointed by the Presbytery of Missouri, at a meeting held for that purpose, divided this church into three separate churches, known as the Bethel, Shoal Creek and Greenville; and the following list of male members was assigned to Greenville at that time: John GILMORE, Hugh T. WHITE, James WHITE, John B. WHITE, Samuel WHITE, John RUSSELL, John SHORT, George DONNELL, Robert G. WHITE, John WHITE, Joseph HOWELL and William NELSON.

The location of the Shoal Creek Church was in what was then known as the Ohio Settlement, some four or five miles northwest of Greenville, where the Union Grove Church now stands. The Bethel Church was about ten miles northwest of Greenville. These churches maintained a separate existence until April 7, 1832. At this time, the Shoal Creek Church had become so enfeebled by removals and deaths, it seemed necessary for them to unite with the Greenville Church. The Greenville Church was organized by Messrs. GIDDINGS and Lacy and Elder COLLINS, of Collinsville, September 15, 1825, with twenty-nine members. As before stated, the two branches of the church were consolidated April 7, 1832. Up to this time, no house of worship had been built at Greenville, but soon after the churches had united they built a house about two miles northwest of Greenville, as a more central and convenient point for all the members. The members of the united church hauled and hewed the logs, sawed the timber, split the boards and shingles and did all the work for

[Page 112] the completion of the same within the membership. From 1825 to 1829, the church had no stated pastor, but was served from time to time by transient ministers whose names are unknown. From 1829 to 1831, Rev. Solomon HARDY was the minister in charge; in 1832, Rev. W. J. FRASER; then followed the labors of Revs. A. EWING, T. A. SPILLMAN, W. K. STEWART; Rev. J. STATFORD, from 1837 to 1838, and again from 1840 to 1850. In 1847, the pastor was absent, and P. D. YOUNG supplied the place for six months. In 1851 and 1852, Rev. William HAMILTON, and from 1852 to 1867, Rev. Thomas W. HYNES were the stated supply; 1867 to 1868, Rev. Arthur ROSE, 1869 to 1872, Prof. George FRAZIER, were the ministers in charge. About this time, eighteen members withdrew from the New School or Congregational Church, and joined the Presbyterian Church of Greenville. Rev. N. S. DICKEY was the stated supply from 1873 to 1880, since which time the Rev. HILLIS has been their very acceptable minister of the Greenville Presbyterian Church. In 1873, the building of the church had become so dilapidated, having been built and occupied since about 1845, that the members and friends enlarged the same with cupola, at a cost of about $2,000. It was re-dedicated July 13, 1873, free from debt. And now today it stands, as it has stood for more than fifty-seven years, like a city set upon a hill, radiating its light, shedding its beneficent influence on all around, in harmony with the community for good, and in fellowship with its sister churches. Its large membership and its admirable Sunday school speak well for its continued usefulness in the future.

Congregational Church. – The origin of the Congregational Church was with the division of the Presbyterian Church about 1836, into the old and the new school churches. Dr. LANSING from New York came to Greenville in 1839, and through his influence a house of worship was commenced soon after, which was not, however, completed and dedicated until January 1, 1843. Rev. Thomas LIPPINCOTT preached the dedicatory sermon.

Up to this time no Presbyterian Church for the old division of the church had been built at Greenville, and many of both branches of the church held their membership together with a number of Congregationalists. By an act of the Legislature of Illinois in 1844, the worshipers of the new building were afterward known as the Congregational Church of Greenville. About this time the old Presbyterian branch had built for themselves a house of worship, and the churches exchanged and withdrew from time to time according to their peculiar ideas – the Congregational society making some payment to the Presbyterians withdrawing from their church for their interest, and aid in building the Congregational Church. Considering the early period in which it was built, the Congregational Church today is quite an imposing structure, standing as it does on Lots No. 27 and 28, Davidson’s Addition to Greenville.

The church was for many years prosperous, especially so during the time Rev. Robert STEWART, Rev. George C. WOOD and Rev. M. M. Longley were pastors, since which time the church has so often been without a regular pastor that its spiritual interests have not advanced as it otherwise would. Rev. John INGERSOLL, father of Robert G. INGERSOLL, of infidel notoriety, preached to this church about six months about the year 1852. Since that time Rev. LONGLEY was for a time a stated supply, as also have Rev. Isaac GODELL and Rev. M. A> CRAWFORD not labored in vain for the short time they each occupied the pulpit. The present pastor, Rev. Joseph WOLFE, sustains well the position assigned him, and the outlook of the church is brightening.

Methodist Episcopal Church. – It is impossible to give anything like a complete history of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Greenville, because, as its present pastor,

[Page 113] Rev. E. A. HOYT, states, Methodism sets little value on the formalities of organization. Its methods are simple; those who desire a home in her communion are enrolled as a class, and one of the number appointed her leader. No official minutes of the transactions are kept or recorded, except incidentally on the class books. The first sermon perhaps preached in the count by the minister of any denomination was that by Rev. John POWERS, a Methodist minister at Jones Fort, in February, 1816. His next appointment was at White’s Fort or Hill’s Station in March, 1816, and for a time these two forts or stations were his regular preaching places. Jones Fort was in the Green neighborhood, and White’s Fort was a few rods southeast of the old residence of Wilson BROWN in Section 6, Town 4, Range 3. The first Methodist meetings at Greenville were conducted by Rev. John KIRKPATRICK, assisted occasionally by Rev. John POWERS, Joshua BARNES, John DEW and others. The several KIRKPATRICK families were Methodists. The first Methodist Church was built about a mile and a half southwest of Greenville where camp-meetings were held for several years, at which an old neglected burying ground some eight or ten rods northwest of the southeast corner of north half of northwest quarter of southeast quarter of Section 16, Town 5, Range 3, is yet visable. For more than twenty years after the first settlement of the county, Methodist services were very irregular. Mr. J. E. TRAVIS, now living in Greenville, remembers of Methodist preaching at the house of his grandfather, Tapley YOUNG, where the old cemetery is now located, and heard their family relate of those attending church bringing their guns and stacking them at the door whilst two sentinels stood watch outside the door to give the alarm, if any Indians made their appearance. His first recollection was associated with class meeting, being held at the house of one KNAPP, in Greenville, by Rev. John H. BENSON, an early circuit rider of Carlisle Circuit in 1839. His appointment at Greenville was once in four weeks and continued one year; only four of that class are obtainable. KNAPP and wife, Elizabeth DRAKE and Elizabeth STUBBLEFIELD. The Rev. Thomas BROWN was the next to take up the work, just at what date cannot be stated, but he held services once in four weeks until the fall of 1844, when he died, having left a good name. For the next three or four years services were only held by transient preachers. The first Methodist Episcopal Church built in Greenville on Lot No. 15, Davidson’s Addition to Greenville, in the years 1848 and 1849. For several years previously meetings were held in the old court house, and in the Odd Fellow hall, which was the upper story of the present residence of William EVANS.

Before the building was erected, the “circuit riders” were unceasing in their labors to increase the membership of the church, and to that end, one of them, a Mr. FALKNER, would at the close of every service, “open the doors of the church.” On one occasion, after the usual services in the Odd Fellows hall, whilst the brethren were singing a familiar hymn, the minister calling loudly and earnestly for any “who desired to unite with the church to manifest the same by coming forward, and give to him their hand, and God their hearts.” As they were singing the chorus of the second verse, and manifestly a deep feeling prevailing through the audience, two well-known females of not the most unblemished character came forward, and gave to the minister their hands, who took them, but without that cordiality sometimes discernible, and with a queer and much-puzzled expression on his countenance, remarked, as he released that slight grasp: “Occasionally, when the fisherman casts in his net he brings in a gar.” It is unnecessary to add, that the records of the church next day did not show any increase of membership for the meeting of the previous night to the Methodist society in Greenville.

[Page 114]

For more than thirty years past the Methodist Episcopal Church in Greenville has enjoyed a reasonable degree of prosperity under the charge of the many preachers sent by the conference of the church to minister to her people. A few familiar names of some of those worthy men are called to the mind of those acquainted with the church for half of a century or more, such as KIRKPATRICK, POWERS, BARNES, BENSON, JOHNSTON, FALKNER, LINGENFELTER, MUNSON, MOORE, VANCLEVE, MORRISON, TAYLOR, WAGGONER, HOUSE, MASSEY, VAN TREESE, GIBSON, ROBINSON, down to the present minister, E. A. HOYT.

Some six years ago, the old church was sold, the title to the property being made to some of the members of the Christian Church, and the Methodists by the aid of many friends outside the church, have built a handsome brick edifice on Lot No. 50, on Second and Sumer streets, which was finished and dedicated some five years since. The membership of this church is steadily increasing, and their congregations and Sunday schools rank with the first in the city.

Greenville Baptist Church - was organized September 18, 1836, by Revs. James LEMEN, Elijah DODSON, Joseph TAYLOR, Joseph LEMEN and A. W. COOLEY. The church comprised six members, namely, Lemuel BLANCHARD, Charles, Eunice, A. N. and Elizabeth C. NORTON and Sibbel BLANCHARD. Within a year of its organizing, although without a pastor, and having preaching only occasionally, the number of members had increased to twenty, and up to 1842 twenty-two had been received by experience and baptism, and fourteen by letter, making the total membership forty-two. From this date, July, 1842, no additions were made, but on the contrary the church declined in numerical strength, until in May, 1847, the church relations were dissolved. This was done at a meeting held by the Rev. Ebenezer ROGERS, who acted as moderator. At a meeting held in July, 1847, a new organization was effected, under the title of the Baptist Church of Christ of Greenville. The Revs. E. ROGERS and I. D. NEWELL assisted, and the following persons signed the roll: K. P. and Elizabeth MORSE, Sibbel BLANCHARD, Elizabeth FOSTER and others. During the year, seven others were added, making in all twenty-two. Like most churches organized in early days, this one had to depend for preaching for years on such occasional supplies as could be obtained. Among those who occupied the pulpit from time to time were Revs. John M. PECK, James and Joseph LEMEN, Joel SWEET, Elijah DODSON, Joseph TAYLOR, Eben ROGERS and Jonathan MERRIMAN, all now deceased.

The first regular pastor was the Rev. Thomas W. HYNES. He served two months, from June to August, 1838, and was succeeded by Rev. E. DODSON, et. al.

Lemuel BLANCHARD and M. P. ORMSBY were ordained the first Deacons, and served until their deaths, 1838 and 1845, respectively. Benjamin FLOYD and K. P. MORSE succeeded them. Prior to April, 1854, meetings of the church were held in private houses or in the Presbyterian Church. In 1839, the subject of erecting a Baptist meeting-house in Greenville was agitated, but nothing was accomplished, and the courtesies of the Presbyterian Society were gladly extended and accepted, until the present church, 32 x 50, was completed in April, 1854, at a cost of $2,500. In the summer of 1856, Mr. Charles PERRY donated $200, to be used in procuring a bell. The sum was made sufficient by additions, and the present bell, weighing 1,500 pounds, was cast in St. Louis. Much more might be said of this flourishing Christian organization, but space forbids more than that it is firmly established, and is now doing a good work.

Catholic Church of Greenville - was organized in April, 1877. First mass was celebrated on Sunday, May 6, following, Rev. Father QUITTER,

[Page 115] of Vandalia, officiating. There were but a few Catholics in the Greenville district, and those living remote from Catholic divine service had become lukewarm in the faith. A few of the faithful, feeling the need of religious culture and a strengthened faith, had accustomed themselves to meet in a small hall on the third floor of the First National Bank building. In this room services were conducted for about three years. The subject of a more suitable place of worship was from time to time discussed and a building fund started. The citizens of Greenville were all afforded an opportunity, and many responded with liberal donations, Protestants not excepted. In November, 1879, a contract for the building of their present commodious edifice, situated in the eastern portion of the city, was awarded, the good work pushed to completion. On the first Sunday in June, 1880, Father QUITTER, assisted by by Mr. James HENRY and others from Vandalia, celebrated the first High Mass. This congregation was made up of Catholics of many nationalities, but all met upon one religious plane for one and the same purpose. The same harmony and true fellowship still prevail, and while the church is still in its infancy, it is thought that a permanent pastor will in the near future be engaged and a larger church needed.

Protestant Episcopal Church. Up to the year 1878, the Protestant Episcopal Church had not been known in Bond County. There had been several Episcopalians in Greenville for years past, but no effort had been made to secure the servies of the church. Feeling the importance of a Christian education for their families they had worshiped with other religious societies.

July 20, 1878, Messrs. C. K. DENNY, M. B. CHITTENDEN, W. S. OGDEN, Henry HOWARD and Henry CHITTENDEN met at Squire HOWARD’s office, and there decided to organize a parish to be known as Grace Church. To the above list of names of about seventeen persons were added, who had been baptized in the Episcopal Church, also names of twelve others who were not connected with any church, and seemed inclined to aid in sustaining this. The Rev. Mr. VANDUZEN, then officiating at Paris, Edgar Co., Ill., heard of this movement and visited Greenville, and about the 1st of August, 1878, and for the first time, services of the Protestant Episcopal Church were held in Greenville, at the Congregational Church. It was found that the Canons of the Diocese did not permit the organization of a parish to so limited a number of communicants. W. S. OGDEN was sent to attend the annual Diocesan Convention of 1879, at Springfield, Ill., and to confer with Bishop McLAREN, Bishop of the Diocese. He carried with him a petition embracing some thirty-odd names. The petition was favorably acted upon, and Messrs. ODGEN and DENNY appointed Senior and Junior Wardens; M. B. CHITTENDEN, Treasurer, and H. A. STEPHENS, Clerk, with Henry CHITTENDEN Licensed Recorder. In July, 1879, Rev. R. E. G. HUNTINGTON was called as Rector of Christ’s Church, Collinsville, and as Missionary to Grace Mission, Greenville, and thereafter, fortnightly, services were held until May, 1881, when Mr. H. resigned and removed to Kansas. During these two years, quite a number were added by baptism and confirmation. The church, however, lost, by death and removals more than she had gained. For about one year, the church was without a rector; but April 1, 1882, the Rev. Joseph G. WRIGHT, of Altamont, took charge of the Mission, and the life of the church much revived. Measures have been taken looking toward the erection of a church edifice, and it is now believed that a pretty Gothic structure, sufficiently large to seat some two hundred worshipers, will be built at a cost not to exceed $2,000, and completed this coming fall of 1882. Everything connected with the Mission, owing to the zeal and energy of the rector, is in a flourishing

[Page 116] condition, and no doubt but that a bright future is before it.

The Plymouth Brethren (so called). By one of the Brethren. – Those people who, for about twenty-eight years, have met together in this city as Christians, are not connected in any way with any of the other denominations of Christians, as they meet on quite different ground than they do. First of all, they have no creed; (and as one of them expressed) our creed is the word of God. They take into fellowship any believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose doctrine is sound according to God’s word, and whose walk in the world is in accordance with the teachings of God’s word, as to how a believer should behave himself, who has been redeemed by the precious blood of Christ. As to their ground of meeting together, they do so as the disciples of the Lord, after he had left them to go in the glory; that is, meeting every Lord’s Day morning to break bread in remembrance of their Lord, as He told them, before He departed, “Do this in remembrance of me.” They do not believe in ordination accepting only the word of God, which says that He has given the church gifts, some apostles, some doctors, evangelist teachers, etc.; not educated by man, but by God alone. They meet without preachers, and any member of the body, led by the spirit, is free to offer a prayer or give a word of exhortation, or words of thanks to the Lord. If the Lord sends them one of His gifted servants from time to time, they gladly receive him, as from the Lord, to either teach, exhort or comfort, or preach the Gospel to sinners. Those gifted servants receive no fixed salary, but depend entirely on the Lord, thus walking by faith, and they are generally better cared for than those who are depending on man for support, though surely man is the instrument that God uses. This is, in short, the history of those people, so called, Plymouth Brethren. The building in which they meet was built by Mr. George RUTCHLEY, for the purpose, and the assembly pays rent for it to him with money put in a box every Lord’s Day morning, by those whose heart is opened, and are able to thus contribute not only to expenses of rent, light, and so on, but also for the servants of the Lord, who are traveling from place to place, working for the Master.

A. F. & A. M., Greenville Lodge, No. 245, received a dispensation October 28, 1866, and the following list of officers were elected; W. H. COLLINS, W. M.; T. W. HUTCHINSON, S. W.; W. T. WHITE, J. W.; W. A. ALLEN, Secretary; J. BURCHSTED, Treasurer; Neely McNEELY, Tiler. Charter for this lodge was issued October 7, 1857, and was signed by J. H. HIBBARD, G. M.; William LANE, D. G. M.; Harrison DILLS, S. G. W.; F. M. BLAIR, J. G. W.; Harman G. REYNOLDS, Grand Secretary. Charter members were: W. H. COLLINS, P. W. HUTCHINSON, W. T. WHITE, John BURCHSTED, W. A. ALLEN and Neely McNEELY. According to last report, the lodge contained sixty-five members.

I. O. O. F., Clark Lodge, No. 3, was instituted January 10, 1839; chartered August 1, same year. The following were the charter members, of whom only one, James E. STAR, of Elsah, Jersey County, Ill., is now living. James CLARK, Patrick O'BYRNE, David P. BERRY, George FILES, Thomas DAKIN. Charter was signed by S. C. PIERCE, M. W. G. M.; M. BOTKIN, D. G. M.; Daniel WARD, G. W.; John M. KRUM, G. T.; Alfred SHANNON, G. S.; J. R. WOODS, P. G.; James E. STAR, P. G.; A. W. CHENOWETH, P. G.; John R. BATTERTON, P. G. Original officers were; James CLARK, N. G.; Patrick O'BYRNE, V. G.; James BRADFORD, Secretary; R. F. WHITE, Treasurer. Present number of members of the lodge is fifty-three.

I. O. O. F., Greenville Encampment, No. 39, was instituted February 5, 1869. First officers were: Henry HOWARD, C. P.; C. W. HOLDEN, H. P.; L. ADAMS, S. W.; J. F. BOWMAN, J. W.; G. A. COLLINS, Scribe; E. REIDEMANN, Treasurer.

[Page 117 - Portrait of Alfred BLACKWELDER]
[Page 118 - Blank page]

[Page 119] Charter was issued October 12, 1869, and was signed by J. J. TICHNER, Grand Patriarch; N. C. NASON, Grand Scribe. Present number of members, twenty-five.

Independent Order of Good Templars, Greenville Lodge, No. 446, chartered Mary 2, 1870, with the following members and officers: C. W. MOORE, Wyatt CANSEY, J. H. HALLAM and thirty-one others signed the call. First officers elected: S. FRENCH, W.C.T.; Mrs. E. C. SMITH, W. V. T.; Rev. M. N. POWERS, W. C.; J. J. CLARKSON, W. S.; George PERRYMAN, W. A. S.; W. C. BROWN, W. F. S.; Mrs. Alice PHELP, W. T. R. E. A.; Munroe McADAMS, W. M.; Miss Alice ALEXANDER, W. D. M.; Mrs. C. LARABEE, W.I.G.; H. H. HUGHES, W. D. G.; Miss Kate KELSO, W. R. H. S.; Miss Flora LARABEE, W. L. H. S.; H. H. SMITH, P. W. C. T. Original number of members in good standing was forty-six, and present number is sixty. The lodge is in a prosperous condition, and accomplishing much good.

The title, Women's Christian Temperance Union, is strikingly suggestive of the laudable object of the society. A union of Christian women representing the different evangelical churches, organized so as to systematically, and with the blessings of God, aid in the suppression of intemperance in their midst, working in harmony with the State and National organizations of their order. The Greenville Union was constituted April 1, 1879, with officers as follows: Mrs. E. W. DEWEY, President at Large; Mrs. Dr. R. C. SPRAGUE, Vice President at Large; Mrs. A. B. BYRAM, from the Presbyterian Church; Mrs. S. PERRY, from the Baptist Church; Mrs. W. S. DANN, from the Methodist Church; Mrs. Charles CLARK, from the Congregational Church; Caroline PHELPS, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Samuel COLCORD, Recording Secretary; Miss Allie ROBINSON, Treasurer. The Union is in a prosperous condition and accomplishing much good, and at their last election, April 11, 1882, the following officers were elected: Mrs. A. E. HAVEN, President; Mrs. P. C. REED, Vice President; Mrs. N. H. JACKSON, Recording Secretary; Mrs. Mary MURDOCK, Treasurer. The Union has about thirty enrolled members.

A temperance society that accomplished much good was organized April 6, 1848, by J. R. WOODS, A. D. G. W. P. of the State of Illinois, with the following charter members: Robert F. WHITE, John BURCHSTED, John T. BARR, Otis B. COLCORD, Daniel DETRICK, John WAITE, Franklin BERRY, John A. DOWLER, S. B. HOLCOMB, George FERGUSON, Nathaniel MADDUX, Lonson LANE, Joseph T. FOUKE, Samuel H. CROCKER, E. GASKINS and James STAFFORD. The following officers were elected and installed; Franklin BERRY, W. P.; John T. BARR, W. A.; John WAITE, R. S.; S. B. HOLCOMB, A. R. S.; Joseph T. FOUKE, F. S.; Daniel DETRICK, F.; R. F. WHITE, C.; George FERGUSON, A. C.; Nathaniel MADDUX, I. S.; O. B. COLCORD, O. S.; E. GASKINS, P. W. P. James STAFFORD was appointed Chaplain, and John WAITE alternate. During the remainder of April sixteen more were added to the membership, making thirty-two. This number increased rapidly, and the prosperity of the order was unbounded. Many men joined who had been for years habitual drunkards, came for miles to attend the meetings, and in most cases were prosperous in their business whilst they were members, and often testified to their enjoyment during those several years of their membership. It gave way to other temperance societies, its last meeting being April 29, 1853. Its enrollment was over 200 members.

Integrity Lodge, No. 72, A. O. U. W., was instituted April 28, 1877, with the following officers: S. M. INGLIS, P. M. W.; George S. PHELPS, M. W.; Henry HOWARD, F.; William BALLARD, O.; Cyrus BIRGE, Recorder; George C. SCIPIO, Financier; M. V. DENNY, Receiver; C. W. HOLDEN, G.; Samuel WERNER, I. W.; S. M.

[Page 120] TABOR, O. W. Henry HOWARD was the first representative to the meeting of the Grand Lodge at Ottawa, Ill., February, 1878. The lodge now has sixty-three members, and is in a prosperous condition.

I. O. M. A. was organized September 20, 1880, with the following officers: J. J. CLARKSON, P.; C. W. SAWALL, P. P.; John KINGSBERY, V. P.; Henry RAMMEL, R. S.; J. M. McADAMS, F. S.; H. T. POWELL, T.; E. C. STEARNS, J. J. CLARKSON, H. T. POWELL, Trustees; A. T. REED, C.; C. H. BEATTY, I. G.; O. L. LUPTON, O. G.

The I. O. M. A. is a State organization, and the Greenville branch contains twenty-seven members.

The Greenville Band consists of thirteen public-spirited and enterprising young men of esthetic musical tastes, who have, by enduring perseverance, accomplished much in the way of musical culture, and rendered themselves a credit to their city, county and State.

The band was organized October 19, 1879; chartered November 12, 1880, with John A. ELAM as their leader; Adel ALBRIGHT, first E flat cornet; Ward REID, second E flat cornet; Will E. ROBINSON, clarinet; Charles THRANER, piccolo; Wallace BARR, first B flat cornet; Will Johnson, second B flat cornet; Will DONNELL, third B flat cornet; Robert JOHNSON, first solo alto; Jesse WATSON, second solo alto; Walter POWELL, third solo alto; Rome SPRAGUE, first tenor; Jesse SMITH, second tenor; Frank SHAW, baritone; Louis DERLETH, tuba bass; Frank BOUGHMAN, tenor drum; Will WHITE, bass drum and cymbals.

Of the above only five were, according to law, old enough to have their names appear on the charter, namely, Leader ELAM, Messrs. ALBRIGHT, JOHNSON, SHAW and BOUGHMAN. Messrs. REID, ROBINSON, ALBRIGHT and SMITH have resigned and their instruments are at present silent, but a movement is on foot that will undoubtedly result in filling their places.

On the Evening of September 20, 1880, the band was treated to a most happy and appropriate surprise by the loyal ladies of Greenville, who presented them with an elegant flag of our country, twelve feet long and six feet wide, mounted on a substantial staff, and surmounted with a gold gilt American eagle with extended pinions. The stars are worked in silk floss, and among them appear the letters G. B. The cost of this flag was $50. The band is in constant practice, and bids fair to soon become one of the best in Illinois.

Transcribed by Norma Hass from the History of Bond and Montgomery Counties Illinois, published in 1882, Part I, pages 109-120.

Templates in Time