top shadow

1882 History - Chapter 9

[Page 73 – Chapter IX written by Williamson PLANT.] ...

As has been heretofore noticed in this work under that part covering the county history, the act of Legislature approved January 4, 1817, forming a new county out of Madison County, to be called Bond, in honor of Shadrack BOND, afterward elected first Governor of the State of Illinois, also appointed William ROBERTS, John POWERS, Robert GILLESPIE, John WHITLEY, Sr., and John LAUGHTON, Commissioners to locate and establish a permanent seat of justice for Bond County, and that their first meeting should be held at the house of David WHITE, at Hill's Fort, on Shoal Creek, on the first Monday of March, 1817, and the act further provided that Hill's Fort should be the county seat of justice for Bond County until the same was located by said Commissioners or a majority of them, and that the County Court should be held on the first Mondays in February, June and October.

The first County Court for Bond County was held June 2, 1817. The following copy of their record at this first meeting, and the report of the said Commissioners to that court will be interesting:

Be it remembered that on the 2d day of June, 1817, at a County Court held for Bond County, began and held at Hills Station, in pursuance of an Act of Legislature of the Illinois Territory, passed in the year 1817 [January 4], Thomas KIRKPATRICK, John POWERS and Martin JONES produced commissions from His Excellency, Ninian EDWARDS, Governor of said Territory, appointing them Judges of said County Court, who, having taken the several oaths prescribed by law, and thereupon took their seats. Present, Thomas KIRKPATRICK, John POWERS and Martin JONES, Judges. Samuel G. MORSE produced in court from His Excellency, Ninian EDWARDS, a commission appointing him Sheriff of the said county of Bond, and also a certificate that he had taken the several oaths (before His Excellency) prescribed by law. Daniel CONVERSE produced in court a commission from His Excellency, Ninian EDWARDS, appointing him Clerk of the said court, and also a certificate of his having taken the several oaths prescribed by law. The court then proceeded to business.

The Commissioners made the following report to the court: majority of the Commissioners appointed to fix and establish the permanent seat of justice for this county, this day present the following report: "We the Commissioners to fix the permanent seat of justice for the county of Bond, met according to appointment, on the west side of the Hurricane Fork of the Kaskaskia River, on the southwest quarter of Section No., 5, of Town No. 4 north, of Range No. 1 west, and stuck a stake for the center of the public square, as may be at any time when necessary. May 16, Anno 1817. John POWERS. Robert GILLESPIE. John WHITLEY

Illinois Territory, Bond County:

We, the Commissioners to fix the seat of justice for the county of Bond, being duly sworn, after viewing different parts of said county for that purpose, we do nominate and appoint for that purpose the bluff lying west of the Hurricane Fork of Okaw, being the southwest quarter of Section No. 5, of

[Page 74] Range No. 1 west, of Township No. 4 north, now the property of Martin JONES, taking into view the geographical center, the navigation, the eligibility, and the common good of the people as directed by law. Given under our hands and seals the day and year fist above written. John POWERS. Robert GILLESPIE. John WHITLEY.

The Commissioners were not authorized to locate the county seat on the land of any person, unless the owner or owners should fist donate to the county at least twenty acres of land where the location was made, to be laid off in town lots, to be sold, and the proceeds to be applied toward erecting county buildings.

The land designated by the commissioners was deed to the county by Martin JONES, who also surveyed and platted the same, and named it Perryville. The County Court "ordered that the lots be exposed to public sale for the use of the county, on the 28th day of October, inst., [1817], and it is further ordered that an advertisement describing the place be inserted two weeks successively in both the Illinois Herald and the Missouri Gazette [now the Missouri Republican]; and it is further ordered that money be lodged in the hands of the Postmaster at Edwardsville, for the payment of the advertising of the same."

William M. CRISP, the first Constable appointed by the County Court, cried the sale of the town lots sold in Perryville, for which he was allowed $2.

The first County Court held at Perryville, and being the third held in the county, was on the 10th day of July, 1818, and was called a "Justice's Court", three Justices of the county acting, viz., Thomas KIRKPATRICK, Martin JONES, AND Isaac PRICE; Samuel G. MORSE was Sheriff, and Daniel CONVERSE had again been appointed Clerk of said court. The principal business transacted by the County and Justice's Courts for several years after the organization of the court, was the laying-out the various county roads needed by the inhabitants, the hearing petitions from those desiring to erect water grist-mills on the numerous streams in the then large though not populous count. To that end the appointment and the summoning for each applicant "twelve discreet householders of the vicinage," to assess any damage that may accrue to the owner or owners of adjoining lands by overflow or otherwise, by the erection of a mill dam at the place stated in the petition, and to report whether in their opinion the health of the neighborhood would thereby be endangered, and the height of dam that the petitioner may erect, etc., and also granting license to those persons desiring to keep tavern and to sell spirituous liquors, and grant orders to those entitled to pay for various serviced performed, a large number of which were for wolf scalp premiums. Every age has its day; much of the time of courts and citizens of fifty or sixty years ago was taken up in harmony with the surroundings of that time, much of which would be inappropriate for the present day and generation.

Before closing the history and events connected with the County Court whilst being held at Perryville, it would be interesting to know that the court at its session July 20, 1818, empowered Martin JONES "to let the contract for building a jail, provided the bids did not exceed $200. The building was to be 12 x 18 feet in the clear, to be built of hewed timber, squared one foot at each side, and laid up and dovetailed at the corners; the floors, both upper and under, to be of hewed timber one foot square, and laid close together with a partition of timber neatly hewed eight inches thick, and laid close together; the roof to be made by laying ribs or straight timber in the form of a common cabin roof, and clapboards nailed on, so as to be perfectly tight and secure from storms, the outside door to be made of plank two inches thick, doubled and riveted together, or nailed with large nails, and hung with two

[Page 75] bars of iron, half an inch thick and three inches broad, hung on staples at one side, and the other the staples through the bar, so as to receive a padlock at each end, the steeples to be let or drove in through the log and clinched, and the wires to be three-fourths of an inch in diameter, and the inside door to be made of one inch plank, double, and riveted or nailed, and hung with strong iron hinges, with a good padlock, with sufficient clasp and staples.

In 1820, Francis BROWN and Eleazer M. TOWNSEND were the only acting County Commissioners. James JONES was Clerk of said court; the Clerks at this time were appointed by the County Courts; the Justices of the Peace were appointed by the Governor on recommendation from the County Court.

In May, a second term of the Circuit Court was held at Perryville. Only five indictments were presented at this court. It does not appear that any other business was acted upon.

The last County court, and being the eleventh held at Perryville, was held October 9, 1820. For some time prior to this date, it was apparent that a new county seat for Bond County must be chosen.

The county was large, and the settlements were being scattered over a large district of country - generally in the timber, near some water course; always near any spring found, no matter how rough the surrounding country - as the inhabitants found it necessary to make division of the county, necessarily the county seat must be removed.

The act of the Illinois Legislature, at its session February 14, 1821, passed the following act:

Section 1. Be it enacted, etc., That all that tract of country lying north of a line beginning at the southwest corner of Township No. 3 north, Range No. 1 west, extending east to the southeast corner of Township No. 3 north, of Range No. 6 east, of the Third Principal Meridian, shall constitute a new county, to be called Fayette, the county seat of which shall be Vandalia.

Sec. 2. Be it further enacted, That for the purpose of fixing a permanent seat of justice for the county of Bond, the following persons, to wit: James B. MOORE, Abraham EYMAN, Joshua OGLESBY, Samuel WHITESIDES and John HOWARD be, and they are hereby appointed Commissioners, which said Commissioners, or a majority of them, being duly sworn before some Judge or Justice of the Peace of this State, to faithfully take into view the convenience of the people, the situation of the settlements, with an eye to future population, the eligibility of the place, and the preservation of the boundaries of counties, the limits of which have been heretofore established, shall meet on the fist Monday of April next, or at such other time thereafter as they may agree upon, at the house of Thomas WHITE, in said county, and proceed to examine and determine on the place for the permanent seat of justice, and designate the same; Provided, That the proprietor, or proprietors of the land shall give to the county, for the purpose of erecting county buildings, a quantity of land, not less than twenty acres, to be laid out in lots and sold for that purpose. Or should the proprietor, or proprietors, prefer paying the donation in money, in lieu of land, then and in that case the Commissioners are authorized to receive the bond of the proprietor, or proprietors, with good and sufficient security, for such same as in their opinion will be sufficient to defray the expense of the public buildings of the county, the same to be paid in three equal semi-annual installments. And should the proprietor, or proprietors, refuse or neglect to make the donation aforesaid, then and in that case it shall be the duty of the Commissioners to fix on some other place for the seat of justice, as convenient as may be to the inhabitants of said county, which place so fixed and determined upon, the said Commissioners shall certify under their hands and seals, and return the same to the next Commissioners' Court in the county aforesaid, which court shall cause an entry thereof to be made in their book of record, which place so designated shall be the permanent seat of justice for Bond County.

And until the public building shall be erected, the courts shall be held at Greenville, in said county. And it shall be the further duty of said Commissioners, or a majority of them, within three days after they shall have established the seat of justice of Bond County, to repair to Perryville, in the said county of Fayette, and proceed to appraise and ascertain the damages sustained by the proprietor, or proprietors, of lots in said town in consequence of the removal of the seat of justice therefrom, and

[Page 76] shall certify the amount to the County Commissioners' Court of Fayette and Bond Counties. Provided, however, That the Commissioners, before they proceed to ascertain the said damages, shall be sworn before some Judge or Justice of the Peace of either of said counties, faithfully and to the best of their judgement, to ascertain the damage as aforesaid, and when the damages assessed as aforesaid shall have been certified as aforesaid, the said County Commissioners of the said counties respectively, shall allow and direct the same to be paid out of the County Treasuries in proportion to the number of taxable inhabitants of each county.

The compensation allowed said Commissioners for the time necessarily employed in fixing the county seat, and assessing the damages heretofore referred to were to be paid $2 per day out of the treasury of Bond County, by order of the Commissioners' Court. The said court in Bond, Fayette and Edwards Counties were authorized and required to levy a tax, not exceeding one-half per centum per annum, on all taxable property within their respective counties, to pay the damages which may be adjudged by the removal of the county seats of Bond and Edwards Counties, which shall continue until a sufficient sum shall be raised to pay all the damages which shall be allowed by said removals.

In accordance with the act just recited, the first Commissioners' Court for Bond County was held in Greenville, April 16, 1821. The Commissioners appointed to locate the county seat for Bond County made their report to said court, fixing upon twenty acres of land in the northeast quarter of Section 10, Township 5 north, Range 3 west, of Third Principal Meridian, and near the center of which the said Commissioners fixed a stake for the public square. The court made the demand upon Samuel DAVIDSON, the owner of the land upon which the location had been made, as appears by their record, to wit:

"Wednesday, 18th April, 1821. - The court met according to adjournment; present, William RUSSELL, John KIRKPATRICK and Robert McCORD, Judges. This day a demand was made by the court upon George DAVIDSON, for twenty acres of land immediately around and contiguous to a stake fixed by the Commissioners authorized to located the seat of justice for Bond County, which demand was declined in words hereafter inserted. It is considered by the court that the status authorizing the location of the seat of justice required the donation of twenty acres of land to lie in the body, and the court indulging that construction of the statute, had made the demand above set forth, in consequence thereof. John KIRKPATRICK, one of the Judges, dissenting in opinion from the court with regard to the demand." To which Mr. DAVIDSON made the following answer:

"I, George DAVIDSON, in answer to a demand this day made upon me by the
County Commissioners for a quantity of land around the stake equal to twenty acres, to be laid off in lots and sold for benefit of the county, present to the Honorable Court the following for my reply to the above demand (to wit) that in order fully and entirely to satisfy the requisitions of an act entitled an act forming a new county out of the parts of counties therein mentioned, I duly executed to the Commissioners therein named a bond with sufficient securities for the gift or grant to the County Commissioners for the county of Bond, which said obligation is now on the files of the County Commissioners' Court for said county, of a quantity of land equal to twenty acres, the terms and conditions of which said writing obligatory I am now perfectly ready and willing to fulfill. George DAVIDSON. April 18, 1821."

Mr. Benjamin MILLS, a lawyer of some note, and Probate Judge in 1822, etc., acted as attorney for Mr. DAVIDSON.

An examination of the records and papers pertaining to the location, shows that Mr. DAVIDSON had previously sold a small portion of the land (on the north side) included in the twenty acres fixed upon by the said Commissioners for the county seat of Bond County, to one Samuel WHITCOMB, and was thereby unable to comply with the demand for the donation. Two members of the court, RUSSELL and McCORD, believing that the donation should be in a square around the stake fixed for the center of the public square; John KIRKPATRICK, the

[Page 77] other member, believing that the statute would be fully complied with if the land was adjoining. The court met again on the 4th of June, 1821, same Judges as last term. Samuel DAVIDSON was allowed to withdraw his bond given for the twenty acres of land, and substitute for the bond given April 18, 1821, a bond for that amount of land
“in the form of a square as near as may be, of which said square the stake fixed by the Commissioners appointed by the last General Assembly to locate a permanent seat of justice for the county of Bond, shall be the center, by or before the first Monday in December next, then this obligation to be void, otherwise to remain in full force. Provided, nevertheless, that this obligation shall not be held to obligate the above bound George DAVIDSON to make a title to any land at present comprised within a tract for the conveyance of which the said George DAVIDSON has given his bond to Samuel WHITCOMB.

"Witness our hands and seals this 5th day of June, in the year of our Lord, Eighteen Hundred and Twenty-one. George DAVIDSON, Samuel G. BLANCHARD, Robert G. WHITE, Samuel WHITCOMB, Daniel FERGUSON, Milo WOOD, Samuel HOUSTON. Witness: Benjamin MILLS."

More than two-thirds of a century has elapsed since the first white settler made his "clearing", and built his first log cabin in what was for many years called "East Fork", now Greenville Precinct, near the center of which, nestling on the brow of the highest point of land between Terre Haute and St. Louis, sloping gently to the south, is situated the beautiful city of Greenville. Few are now living who can recall the time and the occasion of the settler, his clearing and his cabin.

That settler has long since passed from the active duties of this life, his cabin is no more but his clearing then commenced, is now widespread, and truly may it be said of him, " his works do follow him".

And afterward, whilst he lived, though far removed from his early home, it has been said by those who occasionally met him, that he spoke of Greenville as a fond parent would of his absent child to whom he was devotedly attached. It was to him, as the childhood home is to us all, to be recalled with grateful and joyous recollections.

That first cabin built on the primitive style of logs, with clapboard roof, weight-poles on same to hold them in place, with puncheon floor made of split and hewed slabs, the entire structure without nails or glass was situated on the hillside, between the present residence of the family of J. H. BLACK, in the extreme western part of the present town, and the "tanyard", was the first home of George DAVIDSON in 1815 or 1816, the first know settler and owner of the land upon which Greenville has since been built.

Mr. DAVIDSON's family consisted of himself, wife, two sons and two daughters. Mrs. George DAVIDSON was regarded as a most estimable woman, and an excellent nurse for the sick. One of the sons, Samuel DAVIDSON, married Miss Violet ENLOE, sister of James and Isaac ENLOE, and died in 1820. He was taken to his father's house shortly before his death, that he might in his last days have his mother's care and sympathy. The widow of Samuel DAVIDSON married Thomas L. WADDLE, County Treasurer, in 1827. Vance L. DAVIDSON, the other son, married Miss PURSE, one of the daughters, Sally, was blind, and Caroline, the other daughter, married William BLUNDELL. Mrs. BLUNDELL now resides in California; letters have been received from her within the past three years in which she speaks with happy recollection of her early home and friends at Greenville. Mr. George DAVIDSON laid off some of his land in Section 10, Town 5 north, Range 3 west, in 1819, into lots, but by some neglect the plat of

[Page 78] the town was not recorded, which occasioned much trouble to those who purchased lots in the first laid out town.

Some diversity of opinion exists as to how or by whom Greenville was named. The descendants of Mr. Thomas WHITE (R. O. and Sprague WHITE), affirm that when the town was first surveyed, the question of name for same came up, and the bystanders said "we will leave it to Mr. Thomas WHITE for a name, as he is the oldest man present", and Mr. WHITE responded as he cast his eyes over the green woods and prairie around - "everything looks so nice and green, we will call it Greenville." Rev. Peter LONG, who came to Greenville in 1821, and still lives to recount the incidents of early life in the county, heard Mr. John ELLIS (who came here earlier than Mr. LONG), say that his understanding of the name was, that Mr. Thomas WHITE named it in honor of Greenville in North Carolina, a State from which Mr. WHITE had recently emigrated.

Mr. James ENLOE, who came to Greenville in February, 1818, when he was over fourteen years old, and more than a year before the town was first laid out, says that Greenville was named in honor of Green P. RICE, a Cumberland Presbyterian preacher, who resided here at an early day, and kept the first store ever kept in the place, and was Clerk of the Commissioners' Court of Bond County from August 15, 1822, to March 3, 1823. For a number of years Mr. RICE lived on the old STAFFORD property, where Mr. William MORRIS now resides. Be the question or problem of the origin of the name as it may be, neither of the gentlemen to whom the honor is credited, could they see it to-day, would recognized the village then laid off in the wilderness, now sixty-three years ago.

George DAVIDSON is recognized as the pioneer settler of the land upon which Greenville has since been built. His son, Samuel DAVIDSON, had the second store in Greenville, on the northwest corner of Sixth and South streets; his health failed him, and he sold his stock of goods to Elisha BLANCHARD, and he sold to Thomas LONG, brother of Rev. Peter LONG, who kept the store for his brother until he sold to DRAKE & DURLEY.

George DAVIDSON "moved up into town" as they termed it, from his residence at or near the west end of Main street, to a lot just south of northwest corner of Sixth and Main streets, and kept what was then known as a tavern, in 1819- 20, and until September, 1821, when Seth BLANCHARD became his successor, and kept and enlarged tavern for many years, who was in turn succeeded by David BERRY January 1, 1828, to March 1, 1829, when he moved, and Thomas DAKIN took the place for many years, and was well known by traveling men, who made long and tedious journeys on horseback, crossing the State, and going to and from St. Louis. Mr. BERRY removed to the lot just west of BIRGES store (No. 7), where he kept an excellent hotel, which was headquarters for the stage stand for a great many years. His table was well supplied with the best the county afforded.

Among the early settlers of Greenville and vicinity may be mentioned the KIRKPATRICKs, who came at least as early as 1817. Thomas KIRKPATRICK lived about one and half miles southeast of Greenville, in the hewed log house in which uncle Tommy BROWN lived for many years afterward and died. He was, as has been stated before in this work, a member of the first County Court held in the county, Hills Station June 2, 1817, and also a member of Constitutional Convention for Bond County in 1818. John KIRKPATRICK, a Methodist preacher, lived northeast of Greenville near where Madison ALLEN now resides, about half mile north of Almira College. He was one of the members of the first Commissioners' Court held at Greenville April 16, 1821. His associate members of that court were Robert McCORD and William RUSSELL.

[Page 79] Francis KIRKPATRICK, brother of John and Thomas, above mentioned, lived about half mile northeast of John KIRKPATRICK. The KIRKPATRICK family were Methodists. Capt. Paul BECK whilst he held the office of Captain, and was duly qualified as such May, 12, 1817, also had a little band horse-mill situated some forty rods south of the old cemetery, and nearly west of the present cheese factory. His mill ground wheat and corn. The bolt for the flour was tuned by hand, as was common for many years at the horse-mills in operation throughout the county. Asahel ENLOE settled in 1818, on the highest point in what is now the old cemetery, west of Greenville. A short time afterward, Asahel ENLOE and his son, Ezekiel, lived just southeast of the passenger depot at Greenville, about eighty rods therefrom - the first about where the old LANSING House was situated, and the latter (Ezekiel) a few rods north of his father; whilst James ENLOE's house was on the north side of southeast quarter of northeast quarter Section 15, Township 5 north, Range 3 west, about fifty rods southwest of his father's house. He sold the land to Daniel FERGUSON a few years afterward. Isaac ENLOE, brother of James and Ezekiel, is at present a resident of the county. Ezekiel ENLOE died about twenty years ago. Mr. A. ENLOE and his sons cleared off a tract of land near the court house square, and planted the same in corn in the year 1819. Wyatt STUBBLEFIELD entered land east and adjoining Greenville in 1817, and remained on same until the time of his death somewhere near 1851. He had a horse-mill and a cotton-gin in operation many years near his residence. Mr. STUBBLEFIELD was very generously disposed toward those who came from a distance to his mills. He had three brothers, John, William and Jeremiah, who lived much of their time within a few miles of Fairview in Bond County.

Thomas WHITE and his sons, John B., James, Hugh Alexander, and Thomas WHITE (tanner) came into the county about the year 1818. Only one, James WHITE, is still living. Samuel and Eleaszur WHITE, sons of John B. WHITE, live on the old WHITE homestead. R. O. and Sprague WHITE, sons of James WHITE (who is also alive), live in Bond County.

Of the early settlers near Greenville, none are more worthy of mention than Mr. George DONNELL, who moved into the county, from North Carolina, about 1819, and after living on Shoal Creek, near Bilyew's Mill (northwest quarter Section 23, Town 5, Range 4), a few years, settled on a farm about three miles north of Greenville, where he lived many years, until the burdens of farm work, the privations of church privileges and advanced age admonished him that he must retire from the farm. He sold his farm, came to Greenville, where he spent the last dozen years of his life. He died about 1874. Mr. DONNELL was an active man, in not only the Presbyterian Church, to which he belonged – an account of which is given in this history, under proper headings – but he was a co-worker in the cause of religion and temperance with all denominations. He was also the leader in the first Sunday school ever taught in the county, and scholars came often eight or ten miles to attend. The writer of this article heard Mr. L. D. PLANT say that, in his lifetime, he was under lasting obligation to Mr. DONNELL for the Sunday schools he organized and taught, as a large part of his education was received from those schools. Mr. DONNELL displayed more than ordinary wisdom in providing homes and farms for his large family of sons. His family consisted of Joseph M., John D., William N., Mary J., James M., Thomas S., George W., Henry C. and Emily R.

His sons worked well when young, and their father secured for himself a good farm of good proportions, and, as the sons reached that period when they would need a farm, he bent his energies, with the help of the sons at home, and the savings of the home farm soon secured the needed farm. Commencing at an early

[Page 80] day, as he did, with the low price of land and his good judgement, he was enabled to locate his family around him with but little trouble. To those who did not want land, he gave money and his own notes, as a matter of business. He lived to see the largest part of his family settled around him, happy and contented.

Samuel G. MORSE was also an early settler. He was one of the delegates from Bond County to Kaskaskia that made for Illinois the old Constitution, adopted August 26, 1818, as has been stated before. He was the first Sheriff of Bond County, in 1817 and 1818; was fond of music, and taught singing schools occasionally.

The following persons were in the county more than fifty years ago, and their faces were familiar in the streets of Greenville whilst they lived, or were in the county, viz.:

Daniel CONVERSE, first County Clerk, and half owner of water-mill of CONVERSE & LEE, where Brown's Mill now stands.

Samuel HOUSTON, first Deputy Sheriff, and member County Court, August, 1826, to April 10, 1827.

James B. RUTHERFORD, fist hatter in Greenville.

Samuel WHITCOMB owned land in Davidson tract before county seat located.

James B. McCORD, a cabinet-maker in McCord settlement. Andrew FINLEY, a good farmer and cooper in the northwest part of county; kept a store in 1835 - 36 at his home.

James WAFER came to the county in 1818; was anti-slavery;' Presbyterian; died February 8, 1873, aged more than eighty-seven years.

David WHITE lived in the fort, near the center of Section 6, Town 4, Range 3, southwest of Mr. Patrick BYRNE's residence, as early as 1816 - and from David WHITE took the name of "White Fort", sometimes called Hill's Station or Fort - and at this place the first two County Courts were held, before the county seat was established at Perryville. And it was at this fort Tom HIGGINS was so terribly wounded, and William BURGESS surprised and cut off from communications by the Indians as they were out for water. Mrs. PURSLEY, seeing danger which surrounded them, seized a gun and shot the Indian who was leader in the attack, and then succeeded in getting them into the fort alive. Tom HIGGINS lived to relate the adventure and thank his deliverer, for more than fifty years, and died near Vandalia about 1872. Mr. BURGESS lived more than forty years afterward, and died at his home, near Millersburg, in this county. Benjamin HENSON was out of the fort on horseback at the time, but by good luck he escaped the Indian bullet. Mr. WHITE had a little band horse-mill to grind for those stopping in the fort during the war. This was the first mill in the county. Mr. WHITE was a Methodist.

John POWERS, a Methodist preacher, and preached at Jones Station, near Andrew GREEN's, in February, 1816, and at White's Fort in March of the same year. These were his regular preaching places. The company who came with the Rev. POWERS were his three sons, Thomas, Elijah and Samuel, all heads of families, Rev. William HUNTER, son-in-law of John POWERS, John HUNTER and James BOLDS.

William M. CRISP, first Constable in 1817, lived in Locust Fork Precinct.

Henry RULE, appointed Constable same time in "East Shoal", now Greenville Precinct.

Francis TRAVIS, first Treasurer Bond County, July 5, 1819. NO record of any Treasurer before that date.

Martin JONES, one of first Judges of County Court, member of Legislature, owner of Perryville.

James JONES, (brother of Martin) appointed County Clerk June 6 and October 5, 1820; was Circuit Clerk same time.

John D. ALEXANDER, Constable in 1821; Tax

[No Page 81 appears in this section of this book.]
[No Page 82 appears in this section of this book.]

[Page 83] Collector afterward; now lives near Bethel, with his son.

Elezarum Ripley WHEELOCK, laid out Ripley; named same in honor of his uncle, Gen. RIPLEY.

John POWERS, a Methodist preacher and one of the first County Judges of Bond County; built water-mill, east of Millersburg, in 1818. Thomas POWERS (son of above), built the water-mill near John A. SMITH's old residence, in Section 25, Town 5, Range 4.

Francis BROWN, member of the County Court in 1820.

Eleazur M. TOWNSEND, member of the County Court in 1820; was an Eastern man; his sister married Dr. PERRINE.

Green P. RICE, Cumberland Presbyterian preacher; kept first store in Greenville.

Samuel HILL, near Ripley, was father of Anderson HILL.

Hezekiah ARCHER, had water grist-mill on Shoal Creek, near BROWN's present mill.

John and Hubbard SHORT, intelligent men. John married Robert McCORD's daughter.

Evan HINTON, first wife, sister of Rev. Peter LONG's mother; second wife, mother of James BRADFORD.

David SMITH lived about six miles southwest of Greenville, near Hill's Station.

Jonathan BERRY, from Tennessee, lived in southwest quarter of Section 6, Town 6, Range 3.

Williamson PLANT, Sr., from Tennessee in 1818; lived and died on his farm, one mile northwest of Pocahontas.

Charles JOHNSON, from Tennessee, settled on land now laid out as Pocahontas, in 1817. He was a member of the County Court at Perryville from July 5, 1819, to June 5, 1820.

Benjamin JOHNSON, son of the above, brought the first drove of cattle to the county; was an energetic, thoughtful man; was a member of the Illinois Legislature, and was generally consulted in the neighborhood where he lived for fifty years. He built Pocahontas Academy, and laid out Pocahontas; his home adjoined Pocahontas on the north; he died April 6, 1862.

John LEEPER, Presbyterian, was a member of County Court, July 5, 1819, to June 5, 1820, also from August 15, 1822, to September 2, 1823; he built a horse grist-mill about four miles south of Greenville, near James McADAMS' old farm.

Robert GILLESPIE, one of the Commissioners who located county seat, Bond County, at Perryville. James and Andrew, sons of the above, lived ten miles west of Greenville; James having trouble with his eyesight from infancy, became quite famous for his remarkable memory; he had a clear head, and was often consulted on points of law.

John LAUGHLIN, one of the Commissioners who located County seat Bond County, at Perryville.

John WHITLEY, Sr., one of the Commissioners who located county seat Bond County, at Perryville.

Hugh KIRKPATRICK brought Titus, Jack, Bob and Haley, respectively ten, six, five and two years old, colored children, December 18, 1817, and had them registered, agreeable to the act of the Illinois Territory of September 17, 1807, to serve the said KIRKPATRICK, the males until they are ___ years of age, and the girl until she is ___. Mr. KIRKPATRICK brought two colored women and had them indentured by "their consent" for a period of ninety-nine years - should they not consent to the indenture, Mr. KIRKPATRICK had the privilege, under the law, to remove them to a Slave State at any time within sixty days.

William VOLLENTINE, son of Hardy VOLLENTINE, an energetic and successful farmer, living twelve miles northwest of Greenville; he died about sixteen years ago; on the 17th day of June, 1817, he had Silas, a colored boy, registered under the low of 1807; Silas was registered as five years old, but as he had the appearance

[Page 84] of being at least five or six years older, he probably served longer than otherwise would have served, had his age been certainly known; Silas took the name of RESISTER from the fact or his being registered, as before stated. The sons of William VOLLENTINE, W. P., in his lifetime, George and James M. VOLLENTINE, have furnished many substantial comforts for old "uncle Si", as he has been called for the past thirty-five years; Mr. James M. VOLLENTINE, son of William, as before said, has cared for the wants of Silas almost as his own family. Silas was the last survivor of all the ten colored persons "registered" and "indentured" in the county so far as known. He was taken sick some two weeks before his death, which occurred on Thursday, June 22, 1882; he was about seventy-six years old at his death; he was an exemplary Christian, had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church more than forty years.

Hardy VOLLENTINE (father of William), registered a colored girl fourteen years old, on June 30, 1817, named Tisby.

Isaac HILL, of Okaw Township, indentured his colored man, named Peter, to serve him ten years.

John HAPTON, Sr., was a farmer living six miles southwest of Greenville.

John HAPTON, Jr., inherited a competency from his father, and kept it. He lived many years, before moving to Missouri, on the farm of W. BARKER.

Wilson BROWN was an early settler and good citizen, living near White Fort, the fort being a few rods south; he acquired considerable property, which he left, by will, to his children.

Stringer POTTS was neighbor to HAPTON, Sr., and Wilson BROWN.

Henry WILLIAMS, an intelligent farmer for many years two miles northwest of Pocahontas, and for several years before his death twelve miles southeast of Greenville; was a member of the County court August 15, 1822 to 1824; he served in later years in the same capacity.

A. C. MACKAY was for considerable part of his life in some official capacity; was Justice of the Peace, and was member of the Commissioners' Court in 1834 and 1835, and also in later years held same position.

James M. DAVIS, always characterized himself as "old settler"; he was an active Whig; member of County Court in 1834 and 1835; was engaged in merchandising in Greenville.

Thomas M. DAVIS, brother of above, now living seven miles north of Greenville, was a Captain in the civil war, from Bond County; resides on his farm.

Richard BENTLEY was a member of the County Court in 1835 and 1836; was also a member of the Legislature at a later period; many anecdotes were related bearing on his official position.

Samuel WHITE and Thomas WHITE (brothers). Samuel had the first tannery just west of Greenville; he sold the same to J. Harvey BLACK, who manufactured leather for many years; he kept store in the brick building on the northeast corner of Main and Sixth streets, in 1829. Mr. WHITE retired to his farm adjoining Greenville on the east, more than forty years ago, where he amassed a handsome fortune, and died much respected about twelve years ago; his sons were Edward B., John B. O., James W, Samuel G. and William C. WHITE.

William and John RUSSELL (brothers). William was a member of the County Court from April 16, 1821, to June 4, 1822; John was a member of the County Court from August 7, 1827 to 1833; John RUSSELL was the surveyor who laid out Greenville, June, 1821.

Rev. Peter LONG, now living on his old farm on southeast quarter of northeast quarter of Section 35, Town 6, Range 4, some four miles northeast of Old Ripley. He and his brother, Thomas, came with their father, James LONG, a Baptist Minister, from Indiana; the family

[Page 85] were originally from Virginia. Peter LONG taught school soon after coming to the county, near the house of Bonham HARLAN (father of William and Abner HARLAN), he also clerked in his brother, Thomas LONG's, store, who had bought the stock of goods of BLANCHARD, on the corner of Main and Sixth streets, Greenville. Mr. LONG did not continue in the business but a few months when he sold his goods on hand to Dr. J. B. DRAKE and William DURLEY, who continued the business for a few years, when Dr. DRAKE purchased the interest of DURLEY and carried on the same for more than twenty-five years. Rev. Peter LONG, now nearly fourscore years of age, has been a faithful and consistent Baptist minister of the Gospel for nearly sixty years; continues to preach within the circuit of his near friends once each week, without compensation from his hearers; he has never used tobacco in any manner.

Ransom GAER, a member of the County Court, from August, 1824, to August, 1825.

Robert W. DENNY, a member of the County Court from August, 1826, to August, 1832.

Cyrus BIRGE kept store on Lot 8, Davidson's Addition to Greenville, in 1819 to 1824.

Ansel BIRGE bought his brother's (Cyrus) stock of goods early in 1825, and kept same stand for at least eight years; he removed afterward to his beautiful farm one and a quarter miles south of Greenville. He died over twenty years ago.

Williard TWISS, a brother-in-law of Ansel BIRGE, continue the sale of goods from same stand, having purchased the stock of Mr. A. BIRGE. Mr. TWISS was also clerk of the County Court in 1831, to March 9, 1836, when he resigned.

William S. and Thomas W. SMITH (brothers) had a store, for some years in name of W. S. SMITH, in 1833, on the corner of Main and Sixth street, and after some twenty years of success as partners they removed to the corner of Main and Fourth street, northeast corner, and after enlarging to suit their trade carried on a heavy business. Mr. W. S. SMITH carried on the mercantile business after the death of his brother in 1862, to 1876; was County School Treasurer for a number of years, and served one term in the Legislature of Illinois; he also was President of the First National Bank of Greenville several years, at present holding the place of Director; he is also one of the Directors in the St. Louis, Vandalia & Terra Haute Railroad Company. Thomas W. died about twenty years ago.

J. E. RANKIN was appointed Clerk of the County Court, in place of Isaac MURPHY, who, by nonattendance, the court declared out of office, June 1, 1829. Mr. RANKIN has filled several important trusts during his long residence in the county; he is quietly living on his farm, at present, in Pleasant Prairie, at a ripe old age, much respected.

Space cannot be allowed to give further detailed history individually of "old settlers", but we will give a concise list of those whose names or faces are familiar to those who have lived in the county for the past forty years, with occasionally some repetition of previous mention:

ANDERSON, Ignatius, Beaver Creek.
ANDERSON, James, Beaver Creek.
ALLEN, Benjamin, large farmer, Beaver Creek.
ARMSTRONG, Joseph, father of Wesley and William.
ARMSTRONG, Wesley, died in Iowa.
ARMSTRONG, William, died in Bond County.
ARMSTRONG, Robert, strong Democrat and Presbyterian, died in Bond County.
ARMSTRONG, Thomas, died in Missouri.
ARMSTRONG, Joseph.
ARMSTRONG, Mid. These four - Robert, Thomas, Joseph and Mid, being sons of one man and cousins of Wesley and William.
ALEXANDER, Josiah N.
ALEXANDER, Jediah F., State Senator; President Vandalia Railroad, Receiver St. L. & S. E. Railroad, etc., died in Greenville, in 1876.

[Page 86]
ALEXANDER, E. J. C., State Representative and editor.
ALEXANDER, J. H., farmer. These three - Jediah F, E.J.C. and J. H., were brothers.
ALLEN, Albert, merchant, Greenville.
ADAMS, John and James I., brothers, Zion.
ALEXANDER, John, early settler in Bond County.
ALEXANDER, M. H., son of John.
ALLEN, Hector.
ALLEN, William, Allery, J. M., A. J., Daniel, Jerry and George, sons of Hector, and the first four Whigs.
ADNEY, William D., peddler.
ABBOTT, Thomas J., Hurricane, father of John B., Samuel W. and
William H.
ABBOTT, John.
ABBOTT, Samuel W., died in the army, at St. Louis, during the war.
ABBOTT, William H., cabinet-maker and merchant, Fairview.
ABBOTT, John B., brother of Thomas J.
ANDREWS, John, Beaver Creek.
AUSTIN, Josiah, Okaw.
ALDEMAN, Henry, pump-maker.
ALDEMAN, William P. and James W., brothers.
AUSTIN, William M., Zion.
ALEXANDER, H. B. and John, brothers, Greenville; the former a druggist, latter a carpenter.
ALLEN, W. A., physician, Greenville.
ABELL, J. H., North Zion.

BROWN, Tommy, model Christian, near Greenville.
BERRY, David, kept hotel at Greenville and died there.
BERRY, James W., David P., George F. and Franklin, sons of David, Greenville, the first named dying at Greenville.
BEECH, Rufus.
BRYANT, Thomas, southwest of Pocahontas.
BLIZZARD, ____
BLIZZARD, James and William, sons of above.
BLIZZARD, J. J., son of James.
BLANCHARD, Samuel G., Elisha, Seth and Lemuel, the first three being merchants; Seth, a hotelkeeper; Lemuel, a farmer.
BROWN, Wilson.
BROWN, Calvin, Marion, Charles, Robert and Kerney, all sons of Wilson.
BILYEW, Joseph, who had a horse-mill south of Pocahontas.
BILYEW, Jesse, Joseph, Isaac S. and John, sons of Joseph, the two latter being twins.
BILYEW, Louis G., son of John.
BILYEW, W. A. and Finis, sons of Joseph, Sr.
BALCH, Amos P., La Grange.
BALCH, Calvin, son of Amos P.
BARR, Isaac G., S. N. and W. H., Isaac a farmer, La Grange S. N.,
La Grange; W. H., a blacksmith, Fairview.
BIRD, John H., Beaver Creek.
BIRGE, Cyrus, Ansel and James, brothers.
BIRGE, Cyrus, Edwin and William, sons of Ansel.
BIRGE, J. H., son of Cyrus, Sr.
BARLOW, J. N., Town 7, Range 4.
BARLOW, W. Carroll, son of J. N.
BUCHANAN, Welsheir.
BUCHANAN, Othniel, son of Welsheir.
BUCANAN, John, cousin of Othniel.
BUNCH, Lambert.
BAKER, Hiram.
BOOTH, James.
BALDRIDGE, D. C.
BROWN, Simon.
BROWN, Thomas M., W. W. and McCune, sons of Simon.
BROWN, Benjamin, William, Matthias and Henry, brothers; the first three farmers; Benjamin, formerly a miller; Henry, near Old Ripley.
BROWN, Thomas, southeast quarter of Section 12, Township 6, Range 4.
BLUE, Alexander, merchant, Greenville.
BAITS, Anson, Josiah, Samuel J. and Eliphalet, brothers; the first two were farmers, the last two carpenters, as well as Anson.

[Page 87]
BALDWIN, Samuel.
BALDWIN, William T., S. F., J. P., John and Charles, all sons of Samuel, and farmers.
BROWN, J. M., Zion.
BROWN, J. H.
BRADFORD, James, County Treasurer, Clerk Circuit and County Courts, and County Judge.
BADOUX, J., Beaver Creek.
BLANKENSHIP, James and John, brothers.
BASS, Henry and William, brothers; the first a stock-dealer and large farmer, the latter also a farmer.
BARTH, Jacob, Okaw.
BARTH, Joseph, Millersburg.
BULKLEY, Samuel B., merchant, 1843, Greenville.
BARBER, Rev. John, Cumberland Presbyterian clergyman, son of John.
BADOUX, F. E., Beaver Creek.
BARBER, Rev. D. K., Cumberland Presbyterian clergyman, son of John.
BARR, John T., Sr., merchant, Greenville.
BYRNES, Patrick O., large land owner and farmer, died about ten years ago.
BARKER, Joshua and Jordan, sons of William, deceased.
BARKER, Williamson, son of Jordan.
BRIGGS, Henry.
BRIGGS, Kendall, son of Henry.
BRIGGS, Richard, brother of Henry.
BROOKMAN, Garrett, hatter in Greenville in 1836.
BROOKS, Dr. T. S., died of suffocation in fire at Greenville.
BROWN, W. P., physician.
BROWN, J. M., Mulberry Grove.
BLAZE, William, Beaver Creek.

COYLE, John and James, brothers.
COYLE, Jeremiah, son of James.
CHISENHALL, Alexander, Pocahontas.
CORMACK, William.
CORMACK, T. Jeff, son of William.
CASTLE, John T., son of J. H.
CASTLE, John H.
COMER, Allen and James, brothers; the former a Methodist, who settled in the county in 1817.
COMER, Thomas F., Samuel B. and Johnson, sons of Allen.
COLEMAN, Isaac.
CASEY, Green.
COCHRANE, Henry M.
CLARAGE, John.
COCK, Robert, Constable in 1826.
CAWVEY, Conrad and Martin, brothers.
CHEESMAN, William, Mulberry Grove.
CURLEE, J. W., Zion.
CUSHING, Roswell, died in Indianapolis.
CUSHING, Charles and Henry, sons of Roswell.
CALLIHAN, Alexander, Greenville.
COLE, Rev. A. J., Methodist clergyman, Okaw.
COAL, C. C., brother of A. J., merchant at Keysport.
CROSBIE, House.
CORIE, Joseph.
CORIE, Joseph T. and Horation, sons of Joseph.
CLARK, Solomon, son-in-law of Isaac REED.
CARSON, William and John W., sons of Andrew.
CARSON, Andrew.
CRUTHIS, James and John, brothers.
CRUTHIS, Vincent, William and Henry, brothers.
CRUTHIS, Neely, son of John.
CLANTON, James.
CLANTON, Wesley, Chap., John and Alfred, sons of James.
CAMP, Hosea T., was Sheriff and Clerk; lived on home farm of Williamson PLANT.
CLOUSE, William and John, brothers.
COLCORD, Samuel, William S. and Otis B., brothers.
CARROLL, Mac.
CARROLL, Tillman, son of Mac.
CLARK, William.
CRICHFIELD, Joseph and James, brothers.
CRICHFIELD, William.
CANSEY, James E., blacksmith and farmer, northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 33, Town 5, Range 4.

[Page 88]
COMEITUS, Zachariah, exhorter.
CHITTENDEN, M. B., Police Magistrate.
CHALLIS, S. H., Representative in Legislature and merchant at Pocahontas.
COMBS, J. A., Justice of Peace, Mulberry Grove.
CRUTCHLEY, M. W. and Samuel E., brothers.
COBURN, Reuben, Fairview.
DOVE, David.
DUCKWORTH, Thomas, Okaw.
DANIELS, Eli E., carpenter, Pocahontas.
DORMAN, L. D., blacksmith, Bethel.
DAVIS, Joel M.
DURHAM, Kindrick and Baldy, brothers.
DURHAM, Gideon L., son of Baldy.
DER, John.
DER, Fred, son of John, Zion.
DUNSMORE, S. L.
DAVIS, James M., Thomas M. and William, brothers; James died at Hillsboro.
DAVIS, Robert W., son of J. M., died at Hillsboro.
DRAKE, J. B., physician and merchant at Greenville.
DENNY, Robert W.
DENNY, George, father of Jesse DENNY.
DENNY, Samuel.
DENNY, James.
DENNY, John.
DENNY, J. S. and A. S., sons of John; the former Treasurer and County Clerk many years.
DENNY, M. V., son of Samuel, Cashier First National Bank.
DENNY, Imbert H.
DENNY, J. B.
DRAKE, William and John, brothers.
DENNY, Alexander.
DOUGLAS, Nathaniel and James M., brothers - Bethel.
DIAMOND, Robert.
DIAMOND, Samuel.
DUNCAN, Robert.
DUNCAN, Elisha, James Riley and Abraham, sons of Robert; Elisha in Colorado; James died in Okaw.
DULANEY, Aaron, Dudleyville.
DOWLER, John Q. A., shoemaker (lame).
DIXON, Walton B., Bethel.
DOWNING, James, Beaver Creek.
DUCKWORTH, Paden, lived northwest of Pocahontas.
DENSON, Joseph, Constable in 1827.
DWELLY, Alexander, merchant, Beaver Creek.
DONNELL, George.
DONNELL, T. Carson, S. Rankin and John P., sons of George.
DRESSOR, Rufus, member of the Circuit Court several years.
DRESSOR, Nathaniel, Hiram and Joshua P., sons of Rufus; Nathaniel is President First National Bank of Greenville; Hiram was member of Legislature; Joshua a farmer.
DOUGLAS, H. B., son of James, Sunday school worker.
DOUGLAN, A. B., son of Nathaniel.
DAVIS, Ira B., died at Bethel.
DIXON, William, died northwest of Greenville.
DIXON, James I. and William A., sons of William; southwest quarter Section 6, Town 5, Range 3.
DURLEY, William and James, brothers; the former of firm of DRAKE & DURLEY; the latter Clerk of County Court in 1831, also County Treasurer.
DONNELL, George, a Presbyterian and Sunday school worker.
DONNELL, Joseph M., John D., William N., James, Thomas S., and George W., all sons of George DONNELL.
DALE, G., member of Constitutional Convention in 1848, County Judge, etc.
DAKIN, Thomas, hotel keeper at Greenville in 1836, etc.
DEWY, R. K., Greenville.
DUGGER, Alfred.
DUGGER, James A.
DAVIS, William, Jr., son of Major DAVIS, southeast quarter of southeast quarter of Section 22, Town 5, Range 2.

[Page 89]
DAVIS, Major William, Greenville, died in 1882.
DECHENNE, Phillibert, southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 21, Town 6, Range 2.
DEWY, Nelson, Yankee farmer.
DEWY, H. C. and Theron, sons of Nelson, southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 13, Town 4, Range 3.
DRISKILL, William, Pleasant Prairie.
DIXON, Bluford.
DAGGETT, Daniel.
EDWARDS, William M. and John N., old settlers.
EVANS, Edward, large land-owner, Zion.
ETCHISON, W. H. southeast quarter of Section 1, Town 6, Range 2.
ELAM, Alexander.
ELAM, Josephus, farmer.
ELAM, Samuel.
ELAM, James N., Sr.
ELAM, F. M., large farmer.
ELAM, David.
ELAM, Moses.
ELAM, James N., Jr.
ELAM, Edward, blacksmith, Greenville, 1819.
ELAM, Joel, brother of Edward.
ELMORE, Hiram.
ELMORE, Hardin, son of Hiram.
ELSWORTH, George, Wesley and Jerry, brothers.
ELDRIDGE, C. L., Greenville.
EDWARDS, Charles.
ETHERIDGE, Henry.
ETHERIDGE, N. B.
ENLOE, Asahel, settled at Greenville, 1818.
ENLOE, Ezekiel.
ENLOE, James.
ENLOE, Isaac.
ETZLER, John.
ETZLER, George B., son of John.
ELLISON, Price.
ETHERIDGE, Burrell.
ELLIGOOD, Elijah.
ESSENPRIES, Les, large farmer, north half of Section 18, Town 4, Range 4.
ELLIS, Ed., large land-owner.
EBLIN, Samuel.
ELDER, John.
ELLIS, John, old settler.
ELLIS, Noah A., son of John.
ELLIS, Joel, Hurricane.
EYMAN, Henry.
EWING, Thomas, Town 6, Range 3.
EWING, John H., son of Thomas.
EAKIN, James, son of Samuel.
EAKIN, Ichabod and Samuel, brothers and farmers near Fairview.
FITCH, J. W., physician, Greenville, 1835 - 1849.
FILE, Henry, old settler.
FILE, Daniel, Moses, Tobias, George, J. Nelson, Jacob and
William, sons of Henry.
FILE, John N. and Thomas B., sons of Moses; the former southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 16, Town 5, Range 4.
FILE, Ed B. and E. J., sons of Daniel.
FISHER, Charles, cabinet-maker, Greenville.
FULLER, Seth, surveyor and carpenter, Greenville.
FULLER, H. Lyman, son of Seth, died in Greenville in 1881.
FULLER, Lucius, hotel-keeper, died in Mulberry Grove.
FLOYD, John W. and C. Stewart, brothers; former a Methodist, and died in Beaver Creek.
FLOYD, George J., Wesley, John S. and Dr. Thomas W., sons of John W.; George, of Greenville; J. Wesley, north of Greenville; John S. died on Beaver Creek; Thomas W. died at Gillespie, Ill.
FOSTER, Edwin, carpenter and farmer, dead.
FOSTER, Charles, son of Edwin.
FENTON, William, dead.
FOSTER, Elijah, Okaw.
FERGUSON, Daniel, settled at Greenville, 1819.

[Page 90]
FERGUSON, William, George and Horation N., sons of Daniel.
FLOYD, Jonathan C. - Okaw.
FINLEY, Michael - Pleasant Prairie.
FOUKE, Joseph T., old settler, Greenville.
GARLAND, B. F. and John P., brothers; former died at Patoka, latter resides at Greenville.
GOSSAGE, ___.
GWYN, Elisha, died near Elm Point.
GWYN, H. B., R. H., Thomas C. and John, sons of Elisha; the first two live at Elm Point, the last one in Kansas.
GRAFF, Daniel and Peter, brothers, Beaver Creek.
GROSS, Gustave, northwest quarter of Section 25, Town 5, Range 3.
GILL, Francis, early settler, Mulberry Grove.
GRIGG, Daniel, Frederick, Bowlin, Samuel, Jesse, J. R., John T. and Richardson - all Zion.
GOODSON, John, Spencer M. and Urban, brothers; first-named died south Greenville; last one died west Beaver Creek.
GOODSON, Preston.
GOODSON, James M. and J. K., sons of Urban; James M., Beaver Creek.
GOODSON, S. Monroe and John, sons of John.
GASKINS, E., County Judge and County Clerk many years.
GASKINS, E. V., son of E. GASKINS.
GALL, J., southeast quarter of southwest quarter of Section 32, Town 4, Range 4.
GREENWOOD, John, cabinet-maker and farmer.
GREENWOOD, John K. and A. W., sons of John.
GODDARD, John and Alexander.
GILLESPIE, Samuel.
GILLESPIE, Robert, settled in Bond County in 1816.
GILLESPIE, James Mc., Andrew, Robert and John.
GILLISPIE, Nathaniel.
GILLEY, James C.
GROTTS, Joseph and George F., brothers, Okaw.
GLAZE, William - Beaver Creek.
GUM, Henry, Isaac J., Riley and J. Finley, brothers; first named died northwest Greenville, the second died at Okaw.
GILL, W. R. and James, brothers; former a farmer, latter a stage-driver.
GEORGE, Aaron - Hurricane.
GARDENHIRE, J. M. - Mulberry Grove.
GILLILAND, S. M. - Beaver Creek.
GOWER, A. V. S. M. - Dudleyville.
GASTON, John.
GREEN, William, Andrew, George and Royal.
GRACY, Joseph and William.
GILMORE, John, Treasurer and County Judge.
GILMORE, J. Mc son of John.
GOODIN, Hezekiah and John, brothers, Okaw.
GULLICK, A. J., Sheriff Bond County eight years.
HARKEY, William, Town 7, Range 3.
HELMS, Thomas, second County Clerk.
HERRIN, Moses, Section 8, Town 4, Range 4.
HUFFSTEDLER, John, Town 5, Range 4.
HILL, Nathan, colored, originally slave of Samuel HILL.
HENRY, John, farmer, Beaver Creek, died in Texas.
HENRY, Andrew G., William D., Samuel T. and P. C., sons of John; the first, a member of Legislature and County Judge, Greenville; second, a farmer; the third, a farmer and stock-dealer; the last, a money-lender, Terre Haute.
HUG, Martin, farmer, Town 4, Range 4.
HOWELL, Joesph, farmer and Presbyterian, Town 5, Range 3.
HOWELL, J. S., son of Joseph, Presbyterian minister, Elm Point.
HAISLEY, Alexander, Greenville.
HASTINGS, Sutton, early settler - Zion.
HASTINGS, Joseph W. and William, sons of Sutton.

[Page 91]
HARPER, Robert, farmer, Zion.
HARPER, James R., Isaac and Samuel W., sons of Robert; James died in Montgomery County; Isaac lives near Fairview, and Samuel near Zion.
HAWKS, Solomon and Drewry - Okaw.
HUNDLEY, James - Hurricane.
HAYS, W. T., southwest Mulberry Grove.
HARPER, Peter, south half Section 10, Town 5, Range 2.
HARPER, J. Madison, northwest quarter Section 22, Town 5, Range 2.
HAMETEAUX, Louis, southwest quarter Section 33, Town 4, Range 3.
HARRISON, Daniel - north Bethel.
HILL, Anthony - north Elm Point.
HILL, D. W. and Joseph S., sons of Anthony, north Elm Point.
HUFFMAN, B., southwest part of county.
HUBBARD, David, Peter and Philip, brothers; the first, Mulberry Grove; second, east Greenville; last, west Greenville.
HUBBARD, T. S., L. B. and George W., sons of Peter; first two, east Greenville.
HUBBARD, Simeon W. and John, sons of Philip; Simeon, west Greenville; John, killed in Texas during the war.
HENRY, Matthew, old settler.
HENRY, Johnson, son of Matthew.
HULL, William T. and S. V. R., brothers; former died in St. Louis during the war; latter moved to Kansas.
HARNED, William, died on return from California.
HARNED, John W. and D. B., sons of William.
HAWLEY, Milton, lawyer and farmer.
HAWLEY, R. M., Delavan B. and Luther C., sons of Milton; R. M., in Northern Illinois; Delavan, southeast of Greenville; Luther, attorney, in California.
HITTLE, William and Jacob, brothers, Town 7, Range 2.
HARRIS, U. B. and W. C., brothers; former member of County Court; latter a Cumberland Presbyterian minister.
HILL, George W., merchant, Greenville.
HURLEY, Isaac.
HOFFMAN, Nicholas.
HARLAN, Bonum - Beaver Creek.
HARLAN, William and Abner, sons of Bonum.
HULL, Benjamin, farmer, Beaver Creek.
HUDSON, R. H., farmer, Mulberry Grove.
HUNTER, David.
HUNTER, William, Methodist clergyman.
HUNTER, Samuel, John P., William M., Marshall, W. Mc., Samuel J., James B. and D. N.
HUNTER, John B., Thomas N. and T. J., sons of David; the first, a large stock-dealer; the last, gone West.
HUTCHINSON, Z. K., of singing family.
HAZLER, V. W. - Okaw.
HADLEY, S. P. - Okaw.
HOLSBERRY, John - Okaw.
HOLCOMB, P. J. - Greenville.
HOLCOMB, S. B. and P. E., sons of P. J.
HUNT, Charles W.
HAGAN, John T.
HUTCHINSON, W. T., Cumberland Presbyterian minister.
HOILES, Charles, banker and merchant, Greenville.
HARMON, Anderson and William.
HAMPTON, John M. - Pleasant Prairie.
HOLBROOK, Amos, farmer and old settler.
HOLBROOK, Jacob, Methodist and great hunter.
HILLIARD, J. C., farmer.
HARRIS, James H.
HARRIS, James W., Charles D., Patrick H. and Jacob, sons of James H.; James Patrich and Jacob, farmers; Chales D., lumber-dealer.
HYNES, Thomas W., Presbyterian minister, Old Ripley, and Superintendent of Public Instruction.

[Page 92]
HYNES, A. W., merchant, Greenville, brother of Thomas W.
HESS, H. W., northwest quarter of northeast quarter of Section 32, Town 4, Range 4.
HUGG, S., southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 32, Town 4, Range 4.
ISLEY, Stanford - Zion.
IVES, Myron, farmer.
IVES, Charles, son of Myron.
JACKSON, Larkin, James W., John C. and George W., brothers.
JONES, James, second County Clerk, 1819.
JOHNSTON, James.
JANDT, H. G., merchant, Old Ripley.
JANDT, H. A., merchant, son of H. G.
JETT, John, had large family, died in La Grange.
JETT, Thomas, Francis and Humphrey, all died north Zion.
JETT, Thomas A.
JETT, William A. and Stephen J., sons of Thomas.
JETT, J. Madison, north part of Section 4, Town 6, Range 3.
JETT, T. Jefferson.
JETT, Jacob H., died in La Grange.
JETT, B. F. and James W., live in La Grange.
JETT, John H. and Gabriel, sons of Francis; the former on northeast quarter of Section 31, Town 5, Range 2.
JETT, Stark N. and Thos N., sons of Humphrey.
JACKSON, John.
JACKSON, James T., Jonathan, W. H. and Freling, sons of John.
JOY, Samuel N. and Sylvester.
JONES, Nathaniel C. and Daniel D., brothers and twins; the former died in the army.
JARRARD, Abram, runs saw-mill.
JEWETT, Benjamin, near Fairview.
JOHNSON, Israel, died north Bethel.
JENNINGS, B., died east Greenville.
JENNINGS, W. E. and C. W., brothers; former died north Bethel.
JAY, J. A., blacksmith.
JONES, William, north Bethel.
JOHNSON, Charles, member County Court, 1820, etc.
JOHNSON, Benjamin, member Legislature, Pocahontas.
JOHNSON, Charles, died in Bond County.
JOHNSON, Duncan, died at Vandalia.
JOHNSON, J. P., banker, Highland, Kan.
JOHNSON, Hugh, killed at the South.
JOHNSON, James, died in California.
KERSHNER, Isaac, died in Bond County.
KIRKPATRICK, William.
KOONCE, Nicholas, died in Bond County.
KOONCE, George, Jacob, Christ H. and Joseph L., sons of Nicholas; George moved to Harper's Ferry; Jacob, Sheriff of Bond County, 1852, etc.; Joseph a farmer.
KELSOE, Alexander, Clerk Circuit Court.
KIZER, Henry, Okaw.
KIMBRO, Frederick, Zion.
KIRKHAM, Jesse, Pocahontas.
KIRKLAND, John.
KING, John B., Okaw.
KESNER, Jacob, William C. and Josiah, Okaw.
KESTERSON, Robert, Okaw.
KUYKENDALL, Simon, runs saw-mill and farm.
KINGSBURY, Ira, farmer and surveyor.
KINGSBURY, A. N., Daviess, A. N. and John, sons of Ira; all attorneys, and the latter, A. N., Judge of Montgomery County Court.
KERR, Lewis, Zion.
KEYS, Thomas, merchant, Keysport.
LONG, James, Baptist clergyman; came in 1822.
LONG, Peter, Baptist clergyman, son of James.
LONG, Thomas, son of James, merchant and had a wool factory.
LONG, James, Lemuel B., Isham V. and Peter, sons of Peter; James, a farmer, and Lemuel a merchant at Old Ripley.
LINDLEY, Jacob, an old settler.

[Page 93]
LINDLEY, Elisha, Town 7, Range 4.
LINDLEY, Urias, Town 4, Range 3.
LINDLEY, Joseph, an old settler.
LIBBEY, W. P., near Elm Point.
LIBBEY, W. A., S. H. AND John, sons of W. P.
LITTLE, James.
LEAVERTON, Noah, Methodist minister, died in Kansas.
LEAVERTON, John A. and Wilson, sons of Noah; former died in Sangamon County, a large land owner; the latter lives at Chatham, Ill., a farmer.
LYTTAKER, Moses, a brave soldier.
LYNCH, Henry.
LYNCH, Henry F., son of Henry.
LOOKINBILL, J. H.
LUCAS, William, old settler.
LISTER, W. W.
LAWS, Fielding, and John A., brothers, north of La Grange.
LAWS, Thomas A., James and Newman, sons of Fielding.
LAWSON, Joseph, Beaver Creek.
LAMPKIN, P. W., merchant and farmer, Pocahontas.
LAMPKIN, Benjamin and George, sons of P. W.; former died at Pocahontas.
LANSING, J. D., died at Greenville.
LITTLEFIELD, L. P., gone West.
LESTER, J. L. D.
LOVET, John G., farmer.
LOVET, John C., son of John G.
MAINS, James, died near Greenville.
MOORE, Albert, died near Beaver Creek.
MILLS, George S., son of David.
MILES, David, son of William.
MILES, William, Methodist minister, Pocahontas.
MILES, James, Elijah and Morris, brothers.
MILES, Irving, Jonathan and William, sons of Elijah; the first named died at home, Beaver Creek.
MOSS, W. W., died near Woburn.
MOSS, Lemuel S. and James H., sons of W. W.
MALONE, John M., harnessmaker, Greenville.
MOORE, Emery, farmer, Okaw.
MERITT, Isaac N., farmer, Okaw.
MURRAY, Jordan, farmer, Okaw.
MOORE, Joseph, farmer, Beaver Creek.
MOORE, William, farmer, son of Joseph.
METCALF, Balaam, died on Bever Creek.
METCALF, William and Henry H., sons of Balaam, and farmers.
MASON, Haywood, Gillham Creek.
MAYFIELD, William and James, brothers, Gillham Creek.
MILLER, George W., Mayor of Greenville.
MATTINLY, J., eye doctor, Mulberry Grove.
MILLER, Rufus - Mulberry Grove.
MAXEY, Joel, Fairview.
MATHEWS, Elisha, north of Fairview.
MATHEWS, J. J., John F. and E. P., sons of Elisha; J. J. moved to Fayette.
MOORE, Daniel and Philip, brothers, early settlers; the former a brother-in-law of Ned ELAM.
McCLUNG, James, north of Greenville.
MILLS, Jonathan and Thomas J., sons of Rev. William MILLS; former died in Texas.
MILLS, W. J., harness-dealer, Greenville.
MAY, John - north of Zion.
MAXEY, William O.
MERRY, Prettyman, David, Robert, Samuel, James C., Andrew B. and David W., brothers, sons of David; Robert keeps livery-stable; Samuel southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 33, Town 6, Range 3; James, northeast quarter Section 20, Town 6, Range 3; Andrew, northeast quarter Section 31, Town 6, Range 3; David, northwest quarter Section 32, Town 6, Range 3.
McADOW, S. N. and David K., brothers; former County Judge and member of County Court.

[Page 94]
McADOW, John and William, sons of S. N..
MILLER, Lewis, near Ripley.
MILLER, Charles, founder of Millersburg.
MAY, Morris, southeast part of Pleasant Prairie.
MAY, Robert, Isaac J. and M. V., sons of Morris.
McCULLEY, Clinton and Clement, brothers.
McLEAN, James K., Captain in late war.
McMANUS, B. P.
McVEY, Nathan, died at Greenville.
McVEY, Peter, Cleaveland and Thomas, sons of Nathan.
McADO, D. C., farmer, near Fairview.
McCOLLUM, William, south of Pocahontas.
McCOLLUM, Aaron, A. W. and Henry, sons of William; A. W. lives in Pocahontas.
McSHAWT, William, southwest quarter Section 5, Twon 5, Range 3.
McKENZIE, George, - Bethel.
McDONALD, F. R., - Okaw.
McLEAREN, John, - Okaw.
McCASLIN, J. O. and Hugh, brothers; former Beaver Creek.
McCASLIN, William G. and Williamson, sons of J. O.
McADAMS, Jesse, Robert, James, Sloss and John, brothers; first three farmers; Sloss for many years Sheriff; John member of County Court.
McADAMS, Jesse and Hiram, sons of Jesse.
McADAMS, Henry, son of James.
McLENNY, John H.
McALILLY, James J.
MURPHY, John and Thomas.
MOREY, Hiram - Mulberry Grove.
MAYO, Benjamin F., Henry and Charles, brothers; Benjamin north of Fairview.
MYATT, Alexander, member of County Court.
MYATT, Wesley, Alexander B., W. C. and J. B., sons of Alexander; Wesley, killed; Alexander and W. C. farmers, Okaw.
McNEILL, Neilly, father of Abe and William.
McNEILL, Abe, large land owner.
McNEILL, William, farmer.
MILLS, Andrew G., old settler, Beaver Creek.
MILLS, Milton, son of A. G.
MACKAY, A. C., member of County Court several years.
MACKAY, Robert, son of A. C.; also member of County Clerk.
McCASLIN, John M., Sheriff, 1879 - 80.
McCASLIN, Younger, early settler.
McCRACKEN, James, Nathan and John P., brothers; the two first near Bethel; John southeast quarter of southeast quarter Section 30, town 7, Range 4.
McCORD, John H., Robert E. and James S., Bethel.
McCORD, Elihu R., hotel-keeper, Greenville.
MORGAN, Thomas, Circuit Clerk, 1833, etc.
MORGAN, W. T., farmer.
McFARLAND, Robert, died near Bethel.
McFARLAND, C. C. and John V., farmers, sons of Robert.
McCULLEY, James I., and Joseph, brothers, the former gone to Kansas; the latter a farmer.
McCRACKEN, Eli, Methodist minister.
McCURLEY, Abraham.
McCURLEY, Hartwell, son of Abraham.
McCANN, William, and Joseph, brothers, Pleasant Prairie.
MURRAY, William B., member County Court, Pocahontas.
McREYNOLDS, John.
MARGRAVE, John, farmer and Presbyterian.
MARGRAVE, Felix, Treasurer of Bond County.
MEARS, Edward A.
MOODY, Richard.
MOODY, Andrew, son of Richard.
McLAIN, John A., and J. Thomas, brothers.
McLAIN, N. W., C. D., Thomas R., A. H. and Milton J., sons of John A.; N. W. a machinist; C. D. and Thomas, farmers; A. H. and Milton, in Kansas.
MYRES, Joseph, - Beaver Creek.

[Page 95]
McADAMS, William.
McADAMS, Samuel G., son of William, Captain Company E, Twenty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, a brave soldier, killed while searching for deserters.
McADAMS, J. M., son of Captain S. G., Treasurer of county.
McCASLIN, W. R., northwest quarter Section 29, Town 7, Range 3.
MONTGOMERY, John.
NEWHALL, Horatio, Greenville, 1824.
NOWLIN, David, Circuit Clerk in 1825.
NOWLIN, John.
NEATHERY, G. W., northeast quarter Section 35, and northwest quarter Section 36, Town 7, Range 2.
NESBIT, Robert, north of Fairview.
NANCE, Berick, north of Old Ripley.
NEIDHAMMER, John, east of Old Ripley.
NEIFARDT, Jacob, north of Old Ripley.
NEAR, Alfred, Greenville.
NICHOLSON, J. F. and George W., brothers; J. F., Pleasant Prairie.
ORMSBY, Martin P., Presbyterian clergyman.
OATES, W. S., east Greenville.
OVERSTREET, William - Kansas.
PRITCHETT, Thomas J. - Fairview.
POTTS, Stringer, Amos, Daniel; F. G., northwest quarter Section 7, Town 4, Range 3; Henry and Robert.
POTTER, J. M. - Elm Point.
PENDER, Andrew.
PUGH, William H., east Fairview.
PRICE, Jonathan, Isaac H., Oliver and Thomas.
POWELL, Benjamin E. and W. C., brothers.
PAGE, R. G. and Jesse, Town 7, Range 4.
PIERSON, Aaron, Town 4, Range 2.
PURVEYEAR, James A., Town 4, Range 3.
PETTIJOHN, Reuben, an early Justice of Peace.
PERRY, Joseph, east Elm Point.
PAINE, Elisha and William, brothers, Town 5, Range 4.
PAINE, William R., Thomas and John B., sons of Elisha.
PLANT, Williamson, settled in county 1818, died 183-.
PLANT, John, William, Robert, Williamson, Lorenzo D. and James, sons of Williamson; John died in 1865; William, at New Orleans; Robert died July 4, 1852; Williamson died of cholera May 12, 1833; Lorenzo died May 21, 1861; James died March 22, 1850.
PLANT, L. B., son of Robert.
PLANT, Lemuel H. and Williamson, sons of L. D.; former died on the way to California in 1852; latter, Sheriff of Bond County many years, and Secretary of Vandalia Railroad Company.
PLANT, W. L., James D. and George F., sons of James; W. L., Town 5, Range 4; George, Town 5, Range 3.
POOL, John, settled afterward in Putman County.
PERKINS, John, north Fairview.
PERKINS, Ephraim, Henry, William C. and Thomas, sons of John; Ephraim - Fairview; William and Thomas, Town 5, Range 2.
PRATER, Brice and Samuel, brothers, north Zion; Brice, Town 6, Range 2.
PRATER, John W., son of Samuel.
PLANT, John W. and Charles B., sons of John; John, Section 1, Town 5, Range 4; Charles, Section 33, Town 5, Range 4.
PAGE, William - Mulberry Grove.
PIGG, Elijah - Mulberry Grove.
POLLITT, John W., drowned in Shoal Creek, near Pocahontas.
PETERSON, Alexander, northwest part of Old Ripley.
PLOG, Charles F., died near Old Ripley.
PLOG, John and Peter, sons of Charles F.
PHELPS, S. A., attorney, Greenville.

[Page 96]
PAISLEY, William and Robert, brothers; former died at Elm Point; latter died of hydrophobia.
PAISLEY, Robert C. and William F., sons of William; Robert, southeast quarter of northeast quarter Section --, Town 6, Range 3; William, on old homestead.
PARR, Samuel, had a water grist-mill, east Shoal Creek.
PRUITT, Solomon, early settler.
PURSLEY, William.
PETER, W.
PRUITT, Fields, came to county in 1816.
RIDGEWAY, William, northwest Pocahontas.
RIDGEWAY, J. S. and George W., sons of William.
ROSEBROUGH, James.
RUTHERFORD, James B., first hatter in Greenville.
REDFEARN, James and Ira.
ROSS, J. Milton, Andrew B., Thomas and William B., brothers.
REA, Andrew.
RHEA, Henry D., County Commissioner and farmer.
REAVIS, Isham, early settler.
REAVIS, Hiram, Isham T. and Ewing, sons of Isham.
REDDING, Andrew J. - Mulberry Grove.
REDDING, William M. and James, sons of Andrew.
ROBINSON, James W. and Isaac, sons of Alexander.
ROBINSON, Alexander.
RENCH, Joseph.
RENCH, David, William, John and Peter, sons of Joseph.
REEVES, John, farmer, north Fairview.
REEVES, W. B., George W. and James, sons of John.
RUSHTON, Gaius.
RILEY, Barnabas, farmer, near Mulberry Grove.
RILEY, James, John and William, sons of Barnabas; James, a farmer; John, member of County Court.
ROBINSON, Gideon, married in Bond County, 1817.
ROBINSON, Lawson H., Sheriff in 1828-29.
RODGERS, James, farmer.
RODGERS, William M. and F. M., sons of James.
REAMS, William, farmer, Locust Fork, a great hunter.
STOUT, Samuel and Thomas, brothers; the latter a miller and hotel-keeper.
STOUT, H. E., son of Thomas.
SENN, John, merchant, Pocahontas.
STEWART, Robert, Presbyterian minister, and W. M., brothers.
STROUBE, Jacob, north Zion.
SNOW, James and William, north Zion.
SEYBERT, Henry, west Greenville.
SEYBERT, Morgan, H. V., Jacob and W. B., sons of Henry; first two, west Greenville; Jacob, north Pocahontas.
SUGG, Aquila, Josiah, William and Lemuel, sons of Noah; the first a Methodist clergyman, west Greenville; the second, a farmer near Pocahontas.
SUGG, Howell and Noah, sons of William.
SUGG, Noah A., Thomas W., W. Fletcher and Foushe T., sons of Aquila; Noah, a Methodist clergyman; Foushe, noted for a great memory.
SUGG, William T. and Josiah F., sons of Josiah; latter was Treasurer of Bond County 1853 - 56, and Sheriff 1856 - 58.
SHERROD, Joel.
STONEBURNER, Samuel and William, brothers, near Dudleyville.
STONE, James.
SELLERS, Benjamin E., Captain in Mexican war.
SELLERS, L. J., Sr. - Mulberry Grove.
SPRADLING, James - Mulberry Grove.

[Page 97]
SPRADLING, James H., son of James.
STURGIS, Dr. D. B., laid out New Hamburg.
SCOTT, John, south New Hamburg.
SEGRAVES, Bennett, south Mulberry Grove.
SEGRAVES, L. J., son of Bennett.
STUBBLEFIELD, Wyatt, William, Jeremiah and John, brothers and early settlers; Wyatt - east Greenville.
STUBBLEFIELD, John M., W. H. and A. H., sons of Wyatt; John, at
Stubblefield Station; others, Greenville.
SKELTON, John, early settler.
SCOTT, Moses, southeast Fairview.
SPRATT, William.
SARGEANT, James W. - Okaw.
STURGENHOFECKER, G. L., peddler.
SNODGRASS, Isaac, member of County Court.
STALLARD, Samuel D. - Pocahontas.
STALLARD, Rawley E., son of Samuel D.
SHIELDS, Thomas - Okaw.
SAVAGE, Richard.
SCOTT, A. E., carpenter and cabinet-maker.
STEPHENS, Cyrus H. and Alvan, brothers.
SMITH, John and James, brothers; the former a nurseryman.
SMITH, J. J., son of James.
SMITH, C. J., T. N. and James M., sons of J. J.
SCHNEIDER, Theodore, member of County Court; south half Section 19, Town 5.
SMITH, Elisha, on Hurricane.
SMITH, C. T., George M., Sowell and Merit, sons of Elisha.
SHARP, Henry.
SHARP, Milton, Treasurer of Bond County 1877-80.
SMITH, Peter and Andrew.
STOKER, Joseph.
SHERWOOD, David.
TATUM, Richard.
TEASLY, Jonathan.
TEASLY, William, son of Jonathan.
TEDRICK, Alvin - Hurricane.
TATE, Charles F.
TAYLOR, John H.
THOMPSON, James W. and Williamson, brothers.
THACKER, Abner, Martin, W. H., Allen and Elijah.
TABOR, D. N., removed to Litchfield.
TABOR, S. M., Captain in the late war.
TRAVIS, John E.
TOLER, Reuben.
ULMER, Martin, father of George, Casper and Martin, Jr.
VANLANINGHAM, Zimri.
VAN GRUNDY, John.
VAUGHN, Newman, John, David C., William, Samuel, Sr., and Samuel,
Jr., member of County Court.
VOLLENTINE, Hardy.
VOLLENTINE, William, son of Hardy.
VOLLENTINE, J. O., W. P., George W., Hardy, James M., Benjamin, John J. and C. C., sons of William; J. O. killed by falling of a house; W. P. deceased; George, in Christian County, Hardy, in Northern Illinois; remaining four Methodists.
VEST, James, Mulberry Grove.
VEST, Thomas L and J. E., sons of James.
VAWTER, Presley G.
WATSON, Matthew, carpenter and farmer.
WOOD, Charles, large farmer, Town 7, Range 3.
WOOD, Eli, Ezra and John, sons of Charles, and farmers.
WEBSTER, F. M., George, A. J. and Levi.
WILLEY, John F., Wilson W. and James W., brothers.
WATSON, Fielding.
WIDGER, James D.
WILLIAMS, Henry, member of County Court several years.
WILLIAMS, Henry M.
WALKER, Andrew, north Zion.
WIGHTMAN, Charles.
WASHBURN, John A., Nevils, Lemuel, Martin and J. S.

[Page 98]
WHITE, Thomas, Commissioner to locate Greenville as county seat; they met at his house in 1821.
WHITE, Hugh T., John B., James, Thomas (a tanner), and Alexander, sons of Thomas, and Presbyterians.
WHITE, Robert G. and William, brothers; north Greenville; Presbyterians.
WHITE, S. D., killed by falling of Shoal Creek bridge.
WOOD, Frederick, shoemaker, Greenville.
WEATHERS, Wilson, west Zion.
WALKER, Richard, north Zion.
WRIGHT, J. J., north Zion.
WOLLARD, James B., Methodist minister.
WHITE, J. C. Stephen and Ambrose B.
WILMARTH, Joel, son of William.
WATSON, Isaac and Joab, brothers.
WHITE, Richard, a Methodist.
WHITE, Wesley and Thomas M., sons of Richard; former a farmer; latter a Methodist minister.
WILLIAMS, Henry, son of Henry.
WISHON, Ralph, Okaw.
WILLIAMSON, William.
WHITSIDES, John, Town 7, Range 4.
WILSON, Samuel, south Greenville.
WEST, Alexander, cabinet-maker.
WILLIFORD, James.
WILLIFORD, Robert, J. H. and Willis, sons of James; Robert, west Old Ripley; Willis, east Old Ripley.
WILLIFORD, James M., Greenville.
WHITE, Samuel, east Greenville.
WHITE, Ed B., Samuel G., John B. O., James W. and W. C., sons of Samuel; E. B. - Greenville; Samuel - Beaver Creek; James died in the army; W. C., east Greenville.
WHITE, Thomas, brother of Samuel.
WHITE, John - Beaver Creek, northwest quarter Section 36, Town 4, Range 3.
WAFER, William, Thomas, Sr., and James, brothers; latter came to the county in 1819.
WAFER, Thomas, James E., and John F., sons of James; Thomas a miller and farmer; James, a machinist; John, Sheriff of Bond County 1869-70, now Sheriff in Kansas.
WAIT, Silas Lee and William S., brothers; latter a large farmer, died July 17, 1865.
WAIT, William S., Richard S., Henry W. and Foster F., brothers;
William, - Pocahontas; Richard in California; Henry, east of Greenville; Foster, southwest Greenville.
WATSON, Hugh, had a horse-mill, Zion.
WATSON, A. W. and W. P., sons of Hugh.
WAIT, Stephen, farmer.
WHITE, Thomas D., north Greenville.
WAIT, Lee, son of S. L.
YOUNG, Tapley, a Methodist.
YOUNG, William M., Methodist minister.

There may be omissions in the foregoing list, but it is as nearly correct as can now be given.

[Page 99 - portrait of George Donnell]
[Page 100 - blank]

Transcribed by Norma Hass from the History of Bond and Montgomery Counties Illinois, published in 1882, Part I, pages 73-100.

Templates in Time